The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2013, 07:37:27 AM
That's not what I meant but rather that everyone in congress is a) competent and b) has the ability to stay on script. The inability of one rep to coherently respond doesn't mean that there are no talking points.  I'm pretty sure the McCain campaign put together talking points for Palin. :P
The House has gone rogue! :o

Fair point. So the House leadership should try and set up lots of important meetings to get the input of these members and keep them far, far away from the cameras.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Does Boehner even have an option to end this on his own?  Sure, he can bring this to a vote and rely mostly on Democrats, but can't the Tea Party nutcases just depose him as a speaker and get one of their own in charge for the next act of hostage taking?  What then?  Have the less nutty Republicans all defect to Democrats as a group so that the speaker position is out of the hands of Tea Party?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2013, 07:41:54 AM
Does Boehner even have an option to end this on his own?  Sure, he can bring this to a vote and rely mostly on Democrats, but can't the Tea Party nutcases just depose him as a speaker and get one of their own in charge for the next act of hostage taking?  What then?  Have the less nutty Republicans all defect to Democrats as a group so that the speaker position is out of the hands of Tea Party?

The mind of a slav is a scary, disorganized place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

The problem for Boehner - and why I sympathise with him - is he's constantly undermined by others who want to be Speaker. But each one of them knows that, right now, it'd be a poisoned chalice. So he's left there having to deal with the situation and with his authority draining away.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The House Tea party Caucus has something like 49 members.  They couldn't overthrow Boehner.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Kleves

Heard an interview with a Republican congressman from Indiana. He called Obamacare "the most insidious law ever created by man." I wish the Republicans would heed Kirk Lazarus:

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on October 03, 2013, 08:02:56 AM

The House Tea party Caucus has something like 49 members.  They couldn't overthrow Boehner.
Ok, not literally the Tea Party Caucus, but rather the caucus of all those Republicans that are currently opposing the bill.  I imagine that if they have the numbers to invoke the Hastert Rule, they also have the numbers to invoke the "GTFO, speaker" rule.

Razgovory

I do not think so.  If they had that power they would have exercised it already.  There maybe be more extremist republicans then are just in the Caucus they still aren't enough.  We essentially have three parties in the house.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on October 03, 2013, 08:37:14 AM
Heard an interview with a Republican congressman from Indiana. He called Obamacare "the most insidious law ever created by man." I wish the Republicans would heed Kirk Lazarus:

I am not sure I can take the realization that there could another Congressman as stupid as Louie Gohmert.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

I don't approve of the Repubs taking the hard stance on Obamacare (ACA), it was never going to be repealed. But yesterday, didn't the Dems refuse any negotiations on the continuing  resolution bill, including an amendment that would require Congress to use the ACA and not get any special treatment? Both sides are playing hardball, just the Repubs started off in a worse position, IMO.

Sheilbh

The Obamacare exemption/non-exemption was people playing politics (like selectively trying to fund certain things), see here:
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/359742/obamacare-non-exemption-patrick-brennan

It is also worth pointing out that this CR has a lower amount of discretionary spending than the Ryan budget - it's low.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on October 03, 2013, 09:20:26 AM
I don't approve of the Repubs taking the hard stance on Obamacare (ACA), it was never going to be repealed. But yesterday, didn't the Dems refuse any negotiations on the continuing  resolution bill, including an amendment that would require Congress to use the ACA and not get any special treatment? Both sides are playing hardball, just the Repubs started off in a worse position, IMO.
KRonn, do you ever make any judgment calls, are there any situations where both sides are not at fault?

Brazen

Jon Stewart delivers another mot juste:

"If it turns out that President Barack Obama can made a deal with the most intransigent, hardline, unreasonable, totalitarian Mullahs in the world, but not with Republicans, maybe he's not the problem."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.