The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

So, how are the health insurance exchanges working out for people.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

:lol:

QuoteHouse Leaders Plan to Use Ted Cruz's Strategy Next
(Newser) – House Republicans can't get one big spending bill through the Senate, so how about lots of little spending bills? That seems to be the strategy they're settling on, reports Roll Call, and it's one floated previously by the Senate's Ted Cruz. The House plans to vote on a series of separate bills that would keep individual agencies open through mid-December. The VA and the National Park Service are likely candidates. Still, don't expect this to solve anything, because comments from Democrats suggest they won't go along.

"They're trying to [do this] a little piecemeal, to give kind of a faux way of solving problems," says Sen. Barbara Mikulski. Politico suggests it's a move by John Boehner to try to show that Republicans are earnestly working toward a solution. President Obama, meanwhile, tried to sway public opinion himself in afternoon remarks in the Rose Garden, reports NBC News. "This Republican shutdown did not have to happen," he said. "But I want every American to understand why it did happen. They've shut down the government over an ideological crusade to deny affordable health insurance to millions of Americans."
http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/01/20772110-gop-to-try-restoring-some-small-portions-of-government-spending?lite
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2013, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 01, 2013, 03:37:42 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 01, 2013, 03:32:28 PM
actually i won; my government is not spending money it doesnt have today and i do not feel the loss of any service despite the media's hysteria this morning about my not being able to tour a federal park or get my passport renewed today

i hope this lasts a few months so that we can finally reevaluate what we spend our money on as we continue to borrow money from foreign governments to fund a lifestyle we cannot afford

Do you really think we will not spend even more after this?  :lol:
Yeah, we are going to give all of those Federal workers back pay for them sitting around during the shutdown, but we'll never get back the lost labor. This isn't about responsible government, its about a minority throwing a hissy fit that even they have no idea how they will end, and no plan to actually gain anything from it.

Even for the most reactionary elements of the House Republicans, funding the  government is "damned if you do, and double-damned if you don't."

We are. These non excepted workers are furloughed. So, no pay.

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on October 01, 2013, 04:00:27 PMWe are. These non excepted workers are furloughed. So, no pay.

I was told that the previous 17 times the US government was shut down furloughed workers got their pay nonetheless once the government was funded again. It could be different this time, I don't know.

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 04:06:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 01, 2013, 04:00:27 PMWe are. These non excepted workers are furloughed. So, no pay.

I was told that the previous 17 times the US government was shut down furloughed workers got their pay nonetheless once the government was funded again. It could be different this time, I don't know.

Either way I know what I input for pay on non-excepted workers. If they do get it back, good for them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 04:06:05 PM

Furloughed workers are required to come in for a half day, to tidy up or whatever.  Your source may have been talking about pay for that half day, which is at the discretion of Congress.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 04:09:51 PMFurloughed workers are required to come in for a half day, to tidy up or whatever.  Your source may have been talking about pay for that half day, which is at the discretion of Congress.

It was just some dude on the internet, so take it for what it's worth, but the statement was not about the half-day but about the furlough itself.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on October 01, 2013, 03:52:29 PM

I took a gander around it this morning while I had the time, and it looks like I'll actually be able to get a decent package for less than $200/month range with deductibles and co-pays comparable to what I had before when I was employed--which is better than the $500/month I pay now.

So solly, you assholes.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 04:17:01 PM

I took a gander around it this morning while I had the time, and it looks like I'll actually be able to get a decent package for less than $200/month range with deductibles and co-pays comparable to what I had before when I was employed--which is better than the $500/month I pay now.

So solly, you assholes.

I truely hope it stays that way.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on October 01, 2013, 04:18:23 PM

If it eclipses $500, you'll be the first to know.

lustindarkness

So solly, you assholes.

:thumbsup:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2013, 04:19:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 01, 2013, 04:18:23 PM

If it eclipses $500, you'll be the first to know.

How will it change if you find employment? Or does it change?

Admiral Yi

So solly, you assholes.

Is that the price for bronze in Turtlestan?

Admiral Yi

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall