The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 08:48:11 AM
I don't really understand the glee from mongers, if he thinks that is true.

I can understand the glee much easier than I can the logic.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2013, 08:58:41 AM

I can understand the glee much easier than I can the logic.

Sure, but the glee also doesn't make sense. I don't see how that would be a positive for someone in the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2013, 08:28:38 AM
How often before has a leading world power pissed away it's hegemony this quickly?
100 years is a pretty good run.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

I wonder if they could schedule this shutdown and give me a few days off when the PS4 and Call Of Duty Ghosts comes out?  :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 18, 2013, 10:24:41 AM
I wonder if they could schedule this shutdown and give me a few days off when the PS4 and Call Of Duty Ghosts comes out?  :hmm:

Righteous Slaughter 7? :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2013, 10:14:47 AM
How often before has a leading world power pissed away it's hegemony this quickly?
100 years is a pretty good run.

Yeah, better than most.  Not as good as the big boys but, as you say, they had a good run.

garbon

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 08:34:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 12:20:33 AM
I love women a hell of a lot more than you do :contract:

There is a difference between lust and love.

Pshaw.  I love and admire women and agree they are the superior sex. 

To quote HL Mencken:

QuoteI am convinced that the average woman, whatever her deficiencies, is greatly superior to the average man. The very ease with which she defies and swindles him in several capital situations of life is the clearest of proofs of her general superiority.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 10:53:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 08:34:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 12:20:33 AM
I love women a hell of a lot more than you do :contract:

There is a difference between lust and love.

Pshaw.  I love and admire women and agree they are the superior sex. 

To quote HL Mencken:

QuoteI am convinced that the average woman, whatever her deficiencies, is greatly superior to the average man. The very ease with which she defies and swindles him in several capital situations of life is the clearest of proofs of her general superiority.

I suppose that makes sense when one clings to outmoded notions of gender.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2013, 08:42:51 AM

:lol:

Where do you get the glee from, I just posed a question based on a prediction I'm making.

Trust me I'm not at all happy that within our own lifetimes were looking at the possibility that the Chinese communist party is The power in the world.   <_<

And actually I think you can guess, it's with some disappointment that I say the above because today's America could be so much better than it is, a lot of resources have been wasted in the last 40 years and potential improvements missed.   

So to my mind round 3, or whatever it is, of this stupid political game is just another example of the pissing away of political and legislative capital in the USA.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM
This is going to be more exciting than the MLB pennant races!

Much of the same Sparky.

Posturing, Blustering, typical high drama from those shitbags on The Hill and White house.  :yawn:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 18, 2013, 06:13:02 PM
I'm still waiting for Oklahoman independence.

Is that feeling similar to the 'secret'* feeling us English have towards Scottish independence ?  :bowler:

* It's a sort of shush, no one say anything or get into the debate in anyway and hopefully they'll separate from us in a burst of 'sunlit uplands' fervour.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"