News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No more shark fin for Mono on the public dime

Started by The Larch, September 16, 2013, 02:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

http://oceana.org/en/blog/2013/09/hong-kong-bans-shark-fin-soup-at-government-functions

QuoteHong Kong Bans Shark Fin Soup at Government Functions

We have some encouraging news for you out of Hong Kong – the government of Hong Kong announced that it will no longer serve shark fin soup at government functions, and that it will encourage government-funded bodies to do the same. Hong Kong is one of the world' s largest markets for shark fins, and with more than half of the world's fin trade passing through Hong Kong, it is considered the capital of the global shark fin trade, making this ban particularly salient.

(...)

Although the government of Hong Kong's announcement is an encouraging step in the right direction, it is by no means a final victory for sharks as sharks continue to be killed for their fins around the world.  But we are seeing progress, including the announcement last year when the government of China announced a similar ban on serving shark fin soup at official banquets. The announcement, however, will likely take years to come into effect.

And CdM rejoiced.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

We are at war with the shark. For every swimmer eaten, we should have a thousand fins in retaliation.  :menace:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2013, 02:54:17 PM
We are at war with the shark. For every swimmer eaten, we should have a thousand fins in retaliation.  :menace:

"We" already do, by several orders of magnitude greater than 1:1000.

The Larch

Razgovory

Pft.  I've killed a much higer ratio of people to sharks. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2013, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2013, 02:54:17 PM

"We" already do, by several orders of magnitude greater than 1:1000.

I've never actually eaten shark.  :(

Admiral Yi

Do sharks perform any ecologically useful function?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 03:16:52 PM

:rolleyes:

Removing a top predator from the environment wreaks havoc on it.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2013, 03:20:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 03:16:52 PM

:rolleyes:

Removing a top predator from the environment wreaks havoc on it.

Yes that's what's missing in the ocean today: an effective top predator.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2013, 03:03:23 PM

That would be just 700.000 sharks per year, whereas Wikipedia claims 100.000.000 are killed per year...

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on September 16, 2013, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2013, 03:03:23 PM

That would be just 700.000 sharks per year, whereas Wikipedia claims 100.000.000 are killed per year...

Sorry, the pic was cropped. This is the whole pic: