18th and 19th Century Thunderdome - Engineers Vs Lawyers

Started by mongers, September 15, 2013, 04:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Contributed Most to Humanity in the 18th and 19th Centuries?

Engineers
23 (92%)
Lawyers
0 (0%)
Broadly Similar
1 (4%)
Don't Know
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

mongers

Prompted by Sav and Ide's comments in another thread, I'd like to know quite group contributed most to humanity during the 18th and 19th centuries ?

And if your using examples in your argument then the individual you champion, must have practised as least one quarter of their career during that century.

I didn't broaden it out to include the 20th century for obvious reasons.  :ph34r:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I am about to interview for Engineering internships in a couple days so...obviously being an Engineer is the highest profession to which a human being could aspire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Thing is, back is those days, especially the earlier parts, a man might well be both.  And a linguist, and a businessman, and a historian, and, well, you get the idea.

Neil

Has a lawyer ever contributed to humanity in a positive way?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

I think I mentioned before that historically left revolutions have drawn disproportionate support from lawyers and right revolutions (including islamists) have drawn disproportionate support from engineers.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2013, 05:09:44 PM
I think I mentioned before that historically left revolutions have drawn disproportionate support from lawyers and right revolutions (including islamists) have drawn disproportionate support from engineers.

I don't recall you mentioning this before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I'm only going to say this once: good question, Mongers!  :P

I had a hard time deciding, and was astonished to see the results when I did decide.  I counted the Philosphs as lawyers, though, so for me it was Enlightenment versus Industrial Revolution.  Maybe others did not see it that way, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

It's really hard to compare the two.  Lawyers are important to civil societies, since well-entrenched rule of law seems to be what keeps societies from sliding into autocracies.  On the other hand, it's hard to imagine modern societies without all the technological innovations that have been made in the rather unusual last couple of centuries.