NSA models command center after bridge of USS Enterprise, wows Congress

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2013, 09:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It's nice to know our congressional representatives are rationally evaluating the pros and cons of NSA proposals  :wacko:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/09/08/the_cowboy_of_the_nsa_keith_alexander?page=full
QuoteWhen he was running the Army's Intelligence and Security Command, Alexander brought many of his future allies down to Fort Belvoir for a tour of his base of operations, a facility known as the Information Dominance Center. It had been designed by a Hollywood set designer to mimic the bridge of the starship Enterprise from Star Trek, complete with chrome panels, computer stations, a huge TV monitor on the forward wall, and doors that made a "whoosh" sound when they slid open and closed. Lawmakers and other important officials took turns sitting in a leather "captain's chair" in the center of the room and watched as Alexander, a lover of science-fiction movies, showed off his data tools on the big screen.

"Everybody wanted to sit in the chair at least once to pretend he was Jean-Luc Picard," says a retired officer in charge of VIP visits.

Alexander wowed members of Congress with his eye-popping command center. And he took time to sit with them in their offices and explain the intricacies of modern technology in simple, plain-spoken language. He demonstrated a command of the subject without intimidating those who had none.

"Alexander is 10 times the political general as David Petraeus," says the former administration official, comparing the NSA director to a man who was once considered a White House contender. "He could charm the paint off a wall."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Wouldn't you feel kinda silly handling actual emergencies and war situations in a mock Star Trek bridge?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

That's one of the key things I learned as I moved into adulthood- there is no sudden change in thinking that suddenly makes everyone rational. From the highest to the lowest a little bit of coolness can get things done.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 16, 2013, 11:56:19 AM
Hmmm. Get Artemis Bridge Simulator running on that.....

I've seen it's now out on Steam for 5.99 - wasn't it  priced MUCH higher than that originally?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2013, 10:06:13 PM
Wouldn't you feel kinda silly handling actual emergencies and war situations in a mock Star Trek bridge?

I'd be willing to bet that, if you were to look at this place, you'd recognize that the writer was exaggerating the similarities to the Star Trek bridge because he thought it would be more interesting that the strict truth.

The CiC on an Aegis-equipped cruiser or destroyer also "mimics" the Star Trek bridge because it has the command chair in the center, and computer stations, and the big screen up front.  Those CiCs don't have the chrome because, you know, salt in the air, but even if they did I doubt people would have any problem making decisions there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2013, 02:26:47 AM

I've seen it's now out on Steam for 5.99 - wasn't it  priced MUCH higher than that originally?

I don't think so.    :unsure:

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2013, 08:09:23 AM

I don't think so.    :unsure:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-11/10/artemis-spaceship-bridge-simulator
QuoteFor best results, though, then you're going to want to hook up a projector to the main computer, and get a full complement of five friends to bring along their laptops. For that, you'll need the full version of the game, which costs $60 (£37.30).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

60 bucks is pocket change. Or in Matrix games vernacular "budget priced!"

Tamas

hmmm, can it be played over the Internet? USS Languish sounds fun...

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2013, 10:03:08 AM

hmmm, can it be played over the Internet? USS Languish sounds fun...

No, well kinda but no.

Tamas, you could get a group from your work, I'm sure there's 4 other ST nerds there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.