News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Allergies: what are yours?

Started by CountDeMoney, September 11, 2013, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I'm allergic to cats (but not as bad as when I was a little kid, I have to rub my eyes now to get an allergic reaction), cashews and pistachios. Also, oddly, I'm allergic to brass, but not copper or zinc on its own.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Cats
Dogs
Hamsters & other rodents
Horses
Dust
Pollen
Gramineae

No food, thankfully.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

Aspirin, though I'm not supposed to take it anyway because of Crohn's.

I also experienced a highly disturbing trip when the surgeons gave me certain sleeping pill. Allergy or no I'll be avoiding it in the future for sure.

Ed Anger

The antibiotic Tequin. Talk about weird reactions.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

Pollen, so only seasonal, some years worse than others.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
I have a weird allergy to the skins of several fruits.  Apples, pears, plums... all set my lips on fire.  But only the skin.  If I peel them I'm good as gold.
Not that weird.  Princesca has that too, and I know of 3-4 other people with the same thing.

I'm allergic to both penicillin and sulfa.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 12, 2013, 06:57:29 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
I have a weird allergy to the skins of several fruits.  Apples, pears, plums... all set my lips on fire.  But only the skin.  If I peel them I'm good as gold.
Not that weird.  Princesca has that too, and I know of 3-4 other people with the same thing.

I'm allergic to both penicillin and sulfa.

But still weird.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on September 12, 2013, 06:03:05 AMAspirin

My brother has that, it was a pain in the ass when he was a kid as almost every cold medication has it.

I'm luckily allergy-free.

merithyn

When Carter was around 12 or 13, he was known for being highly overdramatic to get his way. It was never that he didn't like something, it was that it was going to kill him.

Me: "Go outside and play."
C: "I can't. My leg hurts. I think I have a tumor in the muscle. Feel it."
Me: "That's the muscle. Now go play."

One night I was making fish sticks for dinner. They were a regular staple in our diet for years. That night, Carter says, "I can't eat those. I'm allergic."

I rolled my eyes at him and said, "I'm not making a separate meal for you because you've suddenly decided that you don't like fish sticks. Sit down. Eat. And be quiet."

Carter replied, "Fine. If I die, it'll be your fault."

I said, "I can live with that. Go eat."

A few minutes later he comes into the kitchen, half-gagging/half-coughing. He hands me his plate (which has been completely cleaned) and says, "My throat's closing. *cough* I can feel my tongue swelling. *gag*"

I look at him and say, "Open your mouth." He does, and I don't see anything. His mouth is perfectly fine, no swelling, nothing. I said, "If you stop breathing let me know and I'll call an ambulance. In the meantime, go do your homework."

He stormed out of the kitchen declaring that I obviously hated him and didn't care if he died. I rolled my eyes again and finished the dishes.

A few months later, Carter had an asthma attack that was pretty bad. The doctor suggested that we have allergy tests done to find any triggers. When we got the results back, I opened the letter, and then promptly fell into a chair, chalk white.

High and prominent on the list was "Cod Fish". Not just allergic, according to the test, but HIGHLY ALLERGIC, meaning it has the potential to put him in anaphelactic shock. And guess what kind of fish sticks I've always bought?

:blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

I have no allergies.  You will not find my weakness.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2013, 07:25:08 AM
I have no allergies.  You will not find my weakness.

Find? We already know about them, padawan.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on September 12, 2013, 07:16:25 AM
When Carter was around 12 or 13, he was known for being highly overdramatic to get his way. It was never that he didn't like something, it was that it was going to kill him.

Me: "Go outside and play."
C: "I can't. My leg hurts. I think I have a tumor in the muscle. Feel it."
Me: "That's the muscle. Now go play."

One night I was making fish sticks for dinner. They were a regular staple in our diet for years. That night, Carter says, "I can't eat those. I'm allergic."

I rolled my eyes at him and said, "I'm not making a separate meal for you because you've suddenly decided that you don't like fish sticks. Sit down. Eat. And be quiet."

Carter replied, "Fine. If I die, it'll be your fault."

I said, "I can live with that. Go eat."

A few minutes later he comes into the kitchen, half-gagging/half-coughing. He hands me his plate (which has been completely cleaned) and says, "My throat's closing. *cough* I can feel my tongue swelling. *gag*"

I look at him and say, "Open your mouth." He does, and I don't see anything. His mouth is perfectly fine, no swelling, nothing. I said, "If you stop breathing let me know and I'll call an ambulance. In the meantime, go do your homework."

He stormed out of the kitchen declaring that I obviously hated him and didn't care if he died. I rolled my eyes again and finished the dishes.

A few months later, Carter had an asthma attack that was pretty bad. The doctor suggested that we have allergy tests done to find any triggers. When we got the results back, I opened the letter, and then promptly fell into a chair, chalk white.

High and prominent on the list was "Cod Fish". Not just allergic, according to the test, but HIGHLY ALLERGIC, meaning it has the potential to put him in anaphelactic shock. And guess what kind of fish sticks I've always bought?

Considering how little actual fish is in those sticks, you was lucky.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: merithyn on September 12, 2013, 07:16:25 AM

Made him perfect employee for my booth, never had to worry he was gonna eat all the product. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:26:28 AM

Considering how little actual fish is in those sticks, you was lucky.

Never thought I'd be so grateful for "filler". ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...