News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Allergies: what are yours?

Started by CountDeMoney, September 11, 2013, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

So we've got a list of medical emergency allergies posted at all First Aid stations at the shelter, listing everybody's allergies in the event of medical necessity;  bee stings, sulfa agents, penicillin, etc.

I had a mild allergic reaction to potassium iodide last year, so in the event of nuclear war or a nuclear power plant meltdown, I could be fucked.  What are yours?  Anything interesting?

PDH

Naw, not really.  I am mildly allergic to cottonwoods.  Go figure, I live in a place where they thrive.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

My whole life I've had the common ones of pollen and pet dander.

As an adult, I've developed allergies to melons, walnuts and avocados. Thankfully this allergy if nothing more than irritation to my throat so if I drink while eating any of those things (i.e. avocado), all is right as rain.  Similarly the allergies from childhood are beaten back by modern allergy medications.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Not allergic to anything. Used to have a mild reaction to tomatoes when I was a kid, but I grew out of it.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 09:35:51 PM
Thankfully this allergy if nothing more than irritation to my throat so if I drink while eating any of those things (i.e. avocado), all is right as rain.

Could that still be dangerous, though?  Like, one day it could go into hyperdrive or something?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2013, 09:43:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 09:35:51 PM
Thankfully this allergy if nothing more than irritation to my throat so if I drink while eating any of those things (i.e. avocado), all is right as rain.

Could that still be dangerous, though?  Like, one day it could go into hyperdrive or something?

I've no idea. It would be very shitty of my body if it decided to have an extreme reaction someday.  Still avocados are too good to give up, so I shan't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

I'm allergic to dust, pollen, and mold.

In short, I'm allergic to Autumn in Illinois. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
Oh, I forgot dust!

That's the worst for me. If I stir up too much dust while I'm cleaning, I'm assured of swollen glands, throat, and eyes. Not to mention itchy throat, eyes, and skin.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2013, 09:52:39 PM
Just Thatcherism.

:lol:  Ass.

Although, what does bother me is the potential for developing allergies to cats.  Being around so many on a daily basis, and we've had so many surrenders of cats where families developed allergies to cat dander over time.

Now that would completely break my heart.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2013, 09:54:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2013, 09:52:39 PM
Just Thatcherism.

:lol:  Ass.

Although, what does bother me is the potential for developing allergies to cats.  Being around so many on a daily basis, and we've had so many surrenders of cats where families developed allergies to cat dander over time.

:(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

There are meds for that. :)

My son, the asthmatic, is highly allergic to cats, and we have three. They've never triggered an attack in him, and he sleeps with them wrapped around his head.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2013, 09:52:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 09:49:54 PM
Oh, I forgot dust!

That's the worst for me. If I stir up too much dust while I'm cleaning, I'm assured of swollen glands, throat, and eyes. Not to mention itchy throat, eyes, and skin.

Whenever I let people come to my apartment, I also let them dust my bookshelves. :blush: