News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Willow Long killed by uncle

Started by merithyn, September 11, 2013, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

This happened about 90 miles south of us. We have good friends who live in the town. (Some may recognize it as the home of one of the largest crosses in the country, set up right next to the interstate.)

Other reports claim that after she tripped and fell, he saw her twitch, so he went inside, got a knife, and came out to "put her out of her misery". The stabbings are believed to be what killed her, not the stick.

QuotePolice suspect that a family member killed a 7-year-old girl who went missing Sunday.

Justin DeRyke, 22, of Watson, Ill., was arrested on Tuesday after authorities found Willow Long's body south of town, CNN reports. DeRyke is the victim's maternal uncle.

DeRyke's father Dale told KDSK that his son confessed to the killing during police questioning. Justin DeRyke was reportedly watching Long and her younger brother on Saturday night while their mother was away from home. He told police that Willow woke up and started playing that night, when she ran outside and tripped in the yard, Dale DeRyke said.

"She ran, she tripped a stick went right through her neck and into her head," he told the station. "He's thinking oh my God, I killed her or she just died they are going to blame me, he's not thinking correctly ... I believe he put her out of her misery, and that's all I can say for sure."

On Sunday, Long's mother said she was taking a 90-minute nap due to a headache. When she awoke, Long was missing. Police initially thought Long disappeared while reenacting a scene from the movie she was watching, "The Princess and the Frog."

An autopsy is underway at a hospital in Effingham. Police say the death appears to be a homicide, though an official cause of death hasn't been released.

The state attorney's office is expected to file first-degree murder charges today, and DeRyke will make an initial court appearance.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Am I suppose to know who Willow Long is? 

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I thought I was going to be reading about a midget murdered by a geriatric uncle here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2013, 05:08:56 PM

Well, if you read the OP, yes. Otherwise, not unless you happened to see the Amber Alerts for her. :mellow:

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2013, 05:56:09 PM

Well, if you read the OP, yes. Otherwise, not unless you happened to see the Amber Alerts for her. :mellow:

Well normally you only put the name of person in the header if people are expected to recognize it.  Otherwise it'd be something like "Illinois girl killed by uncle".  It also works in reverse:  You wouldn't write "Illinois man threatens to bomb Syria", you'd write "Barack Obama threatens to bomb Syria".

As an aside, "she fell on a stick and so I had to take her out her misery with a knife" is a terrible legal defense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2013, 06:17:06 PM
Well normally you only put the name of person in the header if people are expected to recognize it.  Otherwise it'd be something like "Illinois girl killed by uncle".  It also works in reverse:  You wouldn't write "Illinois man threatens to bomb Syria", you'd write "Barack Obama threatens to bomb Syria".

You mean you wouldn't. I, obviously, would.

QuoteAs an aside, "she fell on a stick and so I had to take her out her misery with a knife" is a terrible legal defense.

That was why I posted the thread. It seemed a very strange line of defense.

Razgovory

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2013, 06:17:06 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2013, 05:56:09 PM

As an aside, "she fell on a stick and so I had to take her out her misery with a knife" is a terrible legal defense.

Indeed.  That's for a properly convened Death Panel to decide.

P.S.: Concur regarding Meri's journalism.  It thought Willow Long was somehow famous outside of disappearing in a state that I've never been to and which, as far I know, could be entirely fictional.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

You guys really are ridiculous on what you latch onto on threads. Not the fact that a seven-year-old child was killed by her uncle in a horrible way, that his defense is insane (thought not one of insanity), or that it was only a short distance from where I live.

No. You bitch because you don't like the thread title.  :rolleyes:

Caliga

I was wondering if maybe the story got saturation coverage in Meri's area, and so she thought it was a national story and assumed we'd know the name.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

For us, the big problem isn't some random kid getting killed.  The problem is that you're acting like you expect us to know who she is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2013, 06:30:03 PM
You guys really are ridiculous on what you latch onto on threads. Not the fact that a seven-year-old child was killed by her uncle in a horrible way, that his defense is insane (thought not one of insanity), or that it was only a short distance from where I live.

No. You bitch because you don't like the thread title.  :rolleyes:

Hey, what kind of commentary do you want regarding the murder?  It's bad.  That's all I've got.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2013, 06:33:39 PM
For us, the big problem isn't some random kid getting killed.  The problem is that you're acting like you expect us to know who she is.
:yes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points