News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shop opening hours in your country

Started by Syt, September 11, 2013, 02:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

You ought to see the ones out in the smaller Arizona or New Mexico towns;  people travel from the farthest little towns in the countryside from miles away in dust-covered trucks to provision themselves with months' worth of stuff.  It's like a Silk Road bazaar for the modern age.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 06:54:05 AM
Walmart attracts an interesting sort.

It attracts a huge variety of sorts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Things get really screwy when your country crosses 4-5 time zones.  We're open 10AM-7PM so that we can field tech support calls on things that we've sold to customers on the west coast during relatively normal hours.
Experience bij!

The Larch

The supermarket I go to opens from 9:30 to 21:30 non-stop. The one my parents go to is, IIRC, 9:00 - 14:30 and 17:30 - 21:00.

Normal shops will open from 10:00 to 20:30 or so, with a lunch break from 13:30 or 14:00 to 16:30 or 17:00.

Most places close on sundays, with few exceptions.

lustindarkness

24 hour Wallyworld is The Awesome, but most other supermarkets in my town close like at 9 or 10pm, most stores close around 7pm.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2013, 06:57:14 AM
You ought to see the ones out in the smaller Arizona or New Mexico towns;  people travel from the farthest little towns in the countryside from miles away in dust-covered trucks to provision themselves with months' worth of stuff.  It's like a Silk Road bazaar for the modern age.

You see people like that in the Yukon.  They're driving in from remote little communities with no services whatsoever, so they really are stocking up for 3-6 months at a time.

In Canada store hours are regulated by the province.  I don't think Alberta has many or any restrictions (other than the sale of alcohol and prescription drugs), but no Walmart is open 24/7 that I know of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on September 11, 2013, 10:36:19 AM
The supermarket I go to opens from 9:30 to 21:30 non-stop. The one my parents go to is, IIRC, 9:00 - 14:30 and 17:30 - 21:00.

Normal shops will open from 10:00 to 20:30 or so, with a lunch break from 13:30 or 14:00 to 16:30 or 17:00.

When I was in Europe I thought this closing for lunch thing was an incredible pain in the ass.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2013, 11:09:08 AMWhen I was in Europe I thought this closing for lunch thing was an incredible pain in the ass.

The quaint customs and folkways of foreign lands are part and parcel of the traveling experience :nerd:

The Brain

7/11 24/7, supermarkets often 8AM-10PM, retail typically 10AM-7PM (varies), small shops typically 10AM-6PM. Only the tiniest shops are closed for lunch.

Small shops are often closed Sundays. Liquor stores too.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2013, 06:57:14 AM

Oh, yeah.  I noticed that at the one in Socorro, NM.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

One thing I had to get used to when I moved down here was how few drugstores were not open 24h.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2013, 11:09:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 11, 2013, 10:36:19 AM

When I was in Europe I thought this closing for lunch thing was an incredible pain in the ass.

It was strange when I was doing work over there interviewing patients and we took that long break at lunch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on September 11, 2013, 12:03:38 PM
One thing I had to get used to when I moved down here was how few drugstores were not open 24h.

I wish pharmacy hours were longer here. With the bit that many allergies meds have to be purchased from pharmacy, I've had many occasions where I was unable to buy the medication I needed to feel better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 12:07:36 PM
I wish pharmacy hours were longer here. With the bit that many allergies meds have to be purchased from pharmacy, I've had many occasions where I was unable to buy the medication I needed to feel better.

Yea not only are they not open 24h but the pharmacy often closes before the rest of the store.

MadImmortalMan

Some things close on Christmas. That's about it.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers