Chicken? Really? Are you $!*$^!# kidding me?

Started by CountDeMoney, September 09, 2013, 08:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2013, 08:40:13 PM
Eat local, they say!

The wife has a friend that won't eat anything from more than 200 miles away. She got pissed when we gave her kid banana pudding.

Fuck her weird rules.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

There were some people here who were trying that 100-km rule, announced with a full-on media blitz.  They quietly dropped it during the winter when they realized that they wouldn't be able to eat any fresh produce for about eight months of the year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2013, 08:23:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 09, 2013, 08:17:19 PM
I blame Xiacob.

And I blame you.

I'm in favour of stringent food safety regulations and locally produced foodstuffs.

You're the arch-priest of the shareholder value moloch and the cretin who actually eats industrial chicken product while prioritizing a $0.05 price cut. The blame, sir, lies with you and those like you.

I drink locally :hug:

When I first moved to Cincy, that was kind of hard to do.  Now we've got too many locally-brewed beers to keep track of.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: Neil on September 09, 2013, 09:14:49 PM
  They quietly dropped it during the winter when they realized that they wouldn't be able to eat any fresh produce for about eight months of the year.

Never heard of greenhouses?

Ed Anger

Quote from: citizen k on September 09, 2013, 09:28:58 PM
  They quietly dropped it during the winter when they realized that they wouldn't be able to eat any fresh produce for about eight months of the year.

Canada picked the hockey tech tree.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

100-km from a city rule means there's a good chance there's no green houses in that area.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Canada's not really fit for human habitation, so you either have to subsist on seal and moose or cart your food in from elsewhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 09, 2013, 09:29:46 PM

Canada picked the hockey tech tree.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2013, 09:31:32 PM
100-km from a city rule means there's a good chance there's no green houses in that area.

And its illegal to build any?

Neil

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2013, 09:31:32 PM

There are, but they're rare and expensive.  If these people had been rich, it wouldn't have been a problem.  And greenhouses aren't proof against the cold.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 09, 2013, 08:36:32 PM
Mine are locally sourced from Kroger. It's less than 2 miles away.  :P

Fuck if I know where my local Kroger gets their food.  I doubt that lobster is locally grown though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Greenhouses are wonderful and do extend the growing season.

But they don't work so well in -30C in January.  Even at the local farmers market you won't find greenhouse-grown veggies that time of year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

QuoteGiven China's recent history and reputation for food safety, nervousness already surrounds the prospect of U.S.-raised and slaughtered chicken being processed in China before being shipped back to the United States. 

I'm very surprised that it's cheaper to ship the birds or their carcasses to China for slaughter, then ship them back to the US for sale in markets! In fact, from what I've been reading some companies are finding it not such a bargain to produce products in China due to rising wage and benefit demands by Chinese workers, then the cost of shipping the goods to the US.
Then too after all the food issues by China I usually try not to buy food grown or processed in China.

Grey Fox

so, 6 months instead?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

If all the "free range" stuff labelled as such here in the UK would actually be free range, every house would need to be full of chickens.

I favour quality stuff greatly, my grandparents had animals, I ate them, I know there IS difference compared to the industrialized ones, but lets face it: there is too many of us humans to feed us based on medieval-style technics.