Most likely historical figure to have been a time traveller

Started by Josquius, September 09, 2013, 07:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 10, 2013, 08:48:17 AM
Yeah, it's not gigantism tall or anything, but probably akin to being 6'7 or so relative to today's average height.

Bah, 6'7'' isnt that tall if you cut out the population that lacks altheticism.  7'+ - now we are talking large human beings.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 10, 2013, 08:48:17 AM
Yeah, it's not gigantism tall or anything, but probably akin to being 6'7 or so relative to today's average height.

Bah, 6'7'' isnt that tall if you cut out the population that lacks altheticism.  7'+ - now we are talking large human beings.

Your likely fate in the 18th century:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077392/London-museum-told-stop-displaying-skeleton-Charles-Byrne.html

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Proves my point.  That guy was 7'7'' and would have made millions as a free agent today.

Bluebook

Joan of Arc

A peasant girl from nowhere, rises to lead the french army, in that age and that society.

She is either a time-traveller or proof that there is a god who works in mysterious ways

Viking

Quote from: Bluebook on September 12, 2013, 03:47:02 PM
Joan of Arc

A peasant girl from nowhere, rises to lead the french army, in that age and that society.

She is either a time-traveller or proof that there is a god who works in mysterious ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_sharpshooter_fallacy

She was like, the 150th maid of Lorraine that had been brought forth to fulfill the prophecy. She didn't really do anything either, she was more of a mascot in toy armor who was dispensed with as soon as she ceased being useful.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Joan of Arc

Yeah that is one of the most more unique and weird stories in history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:50:03 PM
Joan of Arc

She was like, the 150th maid of Lorraine that had been brought forth to fulfill the prophecy. She didn't really do anything either, she was more of a mascot in toy armor who was dispensed with as soon as she ceased being useful.

LOL I do love all the cynical idiots who run out making up crap like this.  I mean Kings of France have been establishing teenage girl figurehead leaders for their armies for generations!!!11

Please.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2013, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 03:50:03 PM
Joan of Arc

LOL I do love all the cynical idiots who run out making up crap like this.  I mean Kings of France have been establishing teenage girl figurehead leaders for their armies for generations!!!11

Please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_of_Lorraine_prophecies

That wasn't the contention, that France traditionally had use little girls as mascots for her armies. The prophecy had become popular in the period and the oriflame had failed spectacularly and all of a sudden up pops a young maid fitting the prophecy declared to be the prophecy made manifest and then for perfectly sensible and materialistic reasons france wins the hundred years war.

In a thread where we discuss exceptional people with exceptional achievements this one is definitively the odd one out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

The link to the prophecy doesn't seem to mention the 149 other maids brought forth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2013, 04:03:35 PM
In a thread where we discuss exceptional people with exceptional achievements this one is definitively the odd one out.

Actually that is not what we are discussing.  It is for people who were out of place, ahead of their time, and/or weird.

QuoteThat wasn't the contention, that France traditionally had use little girls as mascots for her armies. The prophecy had become popular in the period and the oriflame had failed spectacularly and all of a sudden up pops a young maid fitting the prophecy declared to be the prophecy made manifest and then for perfectly sensible and materialistic reasons france wins the hundred years war.

Yes?  And who might these be?  And yes whomever won the Hundred Years War would probably have sensible and materialistic reasons for doing so.  Big deal.

mongers

I'm a time traveller, but the mechanism now appears broken and I'm stranded in the 'shit age'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2013, 04:44:39 PM
I'm a time traveller, but the mechanism now appears broken and I'm stranded in the 'shit age'.

In which age(s) would you be a bubbling font of positivity mongers?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2013, 04:44:39 PM

In which age(s) would you be a bubbling font of positivity mongers?

The one* I was heading to, when I got stranded.  <_<

edit:
*it was in the future, still is for all I know, but obviously I can't tell you anything.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Jules Verne and H G Wells may have done some time travel.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2013, 10:58:21 AM
What does athleticism have to do with it?