Saving another low-end but important technology: AM Radio!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 09, 2013, 08:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 09, 2013, 08:35:16 AM
Thing is that emergency radio's already been long gone from AM.  Sure, there are things like NJ Turnpike's highway traveler info radio station, but emergency personnel mostly switched to P25 en masse back in the 90s.

I only partially worked on p25 interoperability standards at the state before I left, but part of the problem is precisely because doesn't have civilian availability for emergency notification.   And good luck trying to find any available bandwidth after 9/11.   Another law enforcement clusterfuck.

CountDeMoney

Barrister

AM radio was great living in the countryside.  There was no way FM stations from the city were reaching where I lived, and there was only one incredibly generic FM station in the small town I was in.  But I could reliably haul in AM signals for my really long car drives every day.  As well in the Yukon it was only the CBC AM transmitter that had any coverage whatsoever outside of Whitehorse city limits.

Plus, I have fond memories of the mid 90s dropping my then-girlfriend off at her house, then driving home at some incredibly late hour.  I would start fiddling with the am dial to see what kind of wacky AM signal I could listen to.  I could consistently get a Chicago all news station, but I remember getting a Denver station, and I think one from Kentucky.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2013, 08:33:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 08:31:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2013, 08:23:40 AM
Pai doesn't even seem old enough to be a luddite.

Post script:   shove it, HVC.
you probably have one of those giant wheeled bicycles too, dontcha :D

Then he'd be a Korean schoolgirl, because bikes with ridiculously large and/or ridiculously small wheels are fashionable among them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2013, 08:30:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2013, 08:23:40 AM
Pai doesn't even seem old enough to be a luddite.
neither does CdM, but there you have it :P

He's plenty old enough. He's probably got a rotary phone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2013, 08:38:23 AM
What about Town Criers?  Can we save those to?

Well amateurs seem to be saving themselves. Remember that old man who announced the birth of the royal baby?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 08:44:17 AM
I only partially worked on p25 interoperability standards at the state before I left, but part of the problem is precisely because doesn't have civilian availability for emergency notification.

Civilian availability for AM only works if said civilians have an AM radio and actually listen to it.  If people need a radio covering a specific band for emergency purposes, we would be better off with the existing All Hazards radio system.  The frequency band those stations use has better range performance than AM, is taxpayer-funded, and already exists.

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 09, 2013, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 08:44:17 AM
I only partially worked on p25 interoperability standards at the state before I left, but part of the problem is precisely because doesn't have civilian availability for emergency notification.

Civilian availability for AM only works if said civilians have an AM radio and actually listen to it.

The only time I ever listen to AM is in my car when I turn to listen to traffic.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2013, 09:03:47 AM
I could consistently get a Chicago all news station, but I remember getting a Denver station, and I think one from Kentucky.

The last one might have been WLW AM 700 out of Cincinnati.  At night it can be picked up as far west as Denver.

I remember one Saturday evening, driving from West Virginia back home through Eastern Kentucky--  all through Kentucky I was able to listen to the LSU game pretty clearly on a Baton Rouge AM station, but as soon as I got close to Cincy the signal faded out.

My grandpa was a huge radio enthusiast-- he had all sorts of crazy antennas on top of his house.  I thought it was cool how he could pick up French-language stations out of Quebec :bewareMalthus:  I didn't understand a word of what was being said, but listened anyway because it all sounded so foreign & cool.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quotespring ice breakup

Is this about drunk sluts showing boobs? :punk:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

While we're on the subject of radio, my grandpa also gave me my first short-wave radio, and told me how to find the "Russian Woodpecker" signal, which in the midst of the Cold War freaked me out a little because nobody knew what is was.  But it was fun to speculate on what the hell they were doing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 10:04:39 AM
While we're on the subject of radio, my grandpa also gave me my first short-wave radio, and told me how to find the "Russian Woodpecker" signal, which in the midst of the Cold War freaked me out a little because nobody knew what is was.  But it was fun to speculate on what the hell they were doing.

Do you mean UVB-76?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2013, 10:11:54 AM

Do you mean UVB-76?

Nah, woodpecker was the signal from DUGA-3 stations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2013, 10:11:54 AM

Do you mean UVB-76?

From a link at the bottom of the article you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

Fascinating.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.