Saving another low-end but important technology: AM Radio!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 09, 2013, 08:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

AM radio in the Boston area has major news stations, sports and talk radio. All good stuff because they're local. I'd be bummed to lose those. There were a couple of FM talk stations but I think those are all now music stations.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 09, 2013, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 08:44:17 AM
I only partially worked on p25 interoperability standards at the state before I left, but part of the problem is precisely because doesn't have civilian availability for emergency notification.

Civilian availability for AM only works if said civilians have an AM radio and actually listen to it.  If people need a radio covering a specific band for emergency purposes, we would be better off with the existing All Hazards radio system.  The frequency band those stations use has better range performance than AM, is taxpayer-funded, and already exists.

Poopies.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2013, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 10:04:39 AM
While we're on the subject of radio, my grandpa also gave me my first short-wave radio, and told me how to find the "Russian Woodpecker" signal, which in the midst of the Cold War freaked me out a little because nobody knew what is was.  But it was fun to speculate on what the hell they were doing.

Do you mean UVB-76?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

From a link at the bottom of the article you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

Fascinating.

Yep, that's it.  My grandpa thought it was the Russians trying to either jam some of our transmissions or some of their own (not sure why the latter would be the case).  It was creepy yet fascinating to listen to it, and probably would have been even more so had we known it was a ginormous ABM radar bleeding into shortwave frequencies.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2013, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 10:04:39 AM
While we're on the subject of radio, my grandpa also gave me my first short-wave radio, and told me how to find the "Russian Woodpecker" signal, which in the midst of the Cold War freaked me out a little because nobody knew what is was.  But it was fun to speculate on what the hell they were doing.

Do you mean UVB-76?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

From a link at the bottom of the article you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

Fascinating.
Interesting articles.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Here's an example of the relatively rare UVB-76 voice messages:

https://soundcloud.com/djoutcold/uvb-76-aug-23-2010-9-32ampst

Sounds post-apocalyptic. "This is Lawrence, Kansas."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 09, 2013, 08:35:16 AM

PSTN, Jargony McJargon. :contract: (for those who don't know, POTS = plain old telephone system, PSTN = public switched telephone network)

:huh:  I've never heard anyone outside the business use "PSTN," Garblely McJargon. 

Plain ol' telephone service = POTS and I have heard used many times. :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 08:55:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2013, 08:38:23 AM
What about Town Criers?  Can we save those to?

I hate all of you.

I'm on your side. :hug:

NPR is on AM around here, and so is the only Mexican Music channel. :) I only get hip-hop, pop, and country on FM.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

NPR on AM?  Those whispery, pretentious voices must sound hollow and soulless!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: merithyn on September 09, 2013, 01:19:05 PM
I'm on your side. :hug:

NPR is on AM around here, and so is the only Mexican Music channel. :) I only get hip-hop, pop, and country on FM.

Here NPR and the CIty of Dallas station (the only two I listen to) are both FM.  I have not listened to the AM band in about 15 years.

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 01:26:37 PM

They do, in either AM or FM. I listen to it in my afternoon commute, to balance out the ultra conservative rednecks I listen to on my morning commute.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 09, 2013, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 01:26:37 PM

:mad:

I like NPR.

I'm just saying NPR would sound like shit on AM.

And I suppose also making a crack at how they speak :P

edit: Lusti gets it :)

crazy canuck

I can only get the Mike & Mike show on AM in the morning.  It is my only link to civilized sport in this sea of barbaric hockey culture.  Where do I need to sign to save AM radio!

Grey Fox

We find money to save trees all the time. We can find the money to save AM band.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.