News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare couple from hell

Started by merithyn, September 07, 2013, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I thought we'd discussed this here, but I couldn't find a thread anywhere.

To explain, Gordon Ramsey did a show - wait, tried to do a show - on a Scotsdale, Arizona, restaurant. Unfortunately, the owners were insane, and, for the first time ever, Gordon walked out and left them to it. You can watch the whole episode below, but honestly, the first five minutes kind of tells you enough.

Ramsey's Kitchen w/ Amy's Bakery

After, there was a massive meltdown on Facebook, that was precipitated by the folks on Reddit.

Buzzfeed article

And finally, they had a new grand opening. With it, came a new contract for their employees. Numbers 8-11 really cracked me up.

http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/amyskitchencontract.pdf
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

"Any type of attitude will result in immediate termination." - even a positive attitude? They want indifferent workers? :P

"At no point is any food or open beverage allowed in the kitchen." - I guess they mean food that the employees eat, but if you were to take it literally ...

Mandatory weekend/holiday work ... ok, there's jobs that require that. But $250.- penalty for a no show? WTF?

All tips are owned by the restaurant, not the waiting staff. How nice. And I guess $8/hour is not very good?

A one year non-competition clause on what looks like a rather shitty job? Yeah, right.

So, you're not allowed to talk during work, you have to show up on time and leave a.s.a.p. after your shift, you can't bring your own food (how long are shifts? where do they get food?) or any bags/purses, and the employers reserve the right to search anything you bring?

You'd have to be REALLY desperate to sign such a wage slave contract. I'm pretty sure such employment is good for shareholder value, though. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

The open food/drink in the kitchen thing is a health code violation that is almost always ignored unless the inspector is in the building.  Employees have to eat in the restaurant, or in a specified break area.

That said they are a real couple of doucebags.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2013, 12:25:26 AM
The open food/drink in the kitchen thing is a health code violation that is almost always ignored unless the inspector is in the building.  Employees have to eat in the restaurant, or in a specified break area.

Yeah, I understand that, but the contract doesn't quite specify that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Outside of the vague language in the "No Attitude" clause, the fine for not showing up on holidays and the non-compete clause the contract doesn't look all that outlandish.  Most of those are all things that I would expect most employers would say when they hired someone; the difference is most people know they aren't serious, where I think these bozos are.

I would be interested in Caliga's opinion.

Ed Anger

You get the employees you deserve. Fines? No Compete? For being a server? Good luck having the shittiest service around.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2013, 12:25:26 AM

That said they are a real couple of doucebags.

Yeah, last job I had in a restaurant, we just put tops on the drinks.

Pretty sure that non-compete clause is void.  Penalty clause looks suspiciously harsh too.

$8 an hour is justification for murder.  Even in SC, I make more than that doing literally nothing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

:lol: I watched this episode on YouTube a few months back.  I wish I was in Phoenix longer than just a couple of hours next month or I'd pay this place a visit. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2013, 06:11:06 AM
:lol: I watched this episode on YouTube a few months back.  I wish I was in Phoenix longer than just a couple of hours next month or I'd pay this place a visit. :cool:

You should make Heart Attack Grill first priority for Arizona trip.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Good point.  That one's also in Scottsdale, right?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Any couple named "Samy and Amy" need to have their throats slit with bicycle novelty license plates with their names on them from a themed amusement park.

Ed Anger