News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Czars...

Started by Maximus, May 29, 2009, 04:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Seriously, what the fuck is with calling every top official in the white house a "czar"?

jimmy olsen

Alexander II's abolition of serfdom inspires us still.  -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Maximus on May 29, 2009, 04:46:25 PM
Seriously, what the fuck is with calling every top official in the white house a "czar"?

It's an easy way to appoint someone in charge of something without having to go through the pesky process of congressional consent.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

They know going in the office holder will be incompetent and so they name the office accordingly.

Viking

Wikipedia is your friend.

QuoteMetaphorical uses

Like many lofty titles, e.g. Mogul, Tsar or Czar has been used as a metaphor for positions of high authority, in English since 1866 (referring to U.S. President Andrew Johnson), with a connotation of dictatorial powers and style, fitting since "Autocrat" was an official title of the Russian Emperor (informally referred to as 'the Tsar'). Similarly, Speaker of the House Thomas Brackett Reed was called "Czar Reed" for his dictatorial control of the House of Representatives in the 1880s and 1890s.

In the United States the title "czar" is an informal term for certain high-level officials, such as the "drug czar" for the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration, "terrorism czar" for a Presidential advisor on terrorism policy, "cybersecurity czar" for the highest-ranking Department of Homeland Security official on computer security and information security policy, and "war czar" to oversee the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One of the earliest known usages was in "baseball czar", applied to Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis, who was named Commissioner of Baseball, with broad powers to clean up the sport after it had been dirtied by the Black Sox scandal of 1919. Although other Commissioners have been described as "czars", the term is less used than it once was, due to the Commissioner's power being made inferior to that of the owners.[20]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 04:52:55 PM
:D

Fireblade

I'm still holding out for an appointment as the Drug Czar.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 29, 2009, 07:13:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 04:52:55 PM
:D

I agree - nicely done Tim/Jim.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

Quote from: Fireblade on May 29, 2009, 07:45:11 PM
I'm still holding out for an appointment as the Drug Czar.

but then you would be part of the cocaine mob. and I would have to kill you through asphyxiation.
humans were created in their own image

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 29, 2009, 05:04:10 PM

It's an easy way to appoint someone in charge of something without having to go through the pesky process of congressional consent.

But why the name Czar? Do we really want to have our top officials associated with ineffective autocrats whose mistakes resulted in a bloody civil war and one of the worst totalitarian empires in history?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

QuoteKenesaw Mountain Landis

Fucking hippie names.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 30, 2009, 01:29:29 AM
But why the name Czar? Do we really want to have our top officials associated with ineffective autocrats whose mistakes resulted in a bloody civil war and one of the worst totalitarian empires in history?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I saw Glenn Beck ramble on about Czars tonight.  That fucker is nuts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

:huh: Syt, appointing Lincolns would smell too much of Caligula.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.