News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ever Been Shit-Scared ...

Started by Malthus, September 05, 2013, 02:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

... by something totally trivial, that made you laugh afterwards?

How about this one?

I was home, alone. I decided to have a shower, leaving the bathroom door open. The shower has a glass stall.

When I'm home alone, I usually turn off all the lights except for the room I'm in.

I'm getting it all steamy, when suddenly ... I see a head pass, slowly and silently, right across the dark bathroom doorway! In the dark, I couldn't see a body- just the head.

I was sure I was just seeing things. No-one could get in without making a noise, right? I go back to showering ... and the head passes, slowly and silently, the other way!

Okay, I was now shitting myself, nearly literally. I definitely saw it this time. WTF?

I turn off the shower and investigate, to find ... my son's "Spongebob" foil helium balloon, negected in his bedroom for months (and head-sized), had lost just enough gas to float at head-height ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Jesus dude. I would have made stool for sure. Type 5 or 6.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Once I was with my gf in the basement of her parents' house doing teenage stuff. Suddenly we heard somebody coming down the stairs...clomp, clomp, clomp. We got our clothes on fast as lightning. My heart was pounding and I'm thinking her dad is gonna kick my ass. Then the door opens and it's her new kitten who wasn't quite big enough to walk down the stairs and had to leap off each stair to get to the next lower one, making a thud each time. Cat's name was Puck. Sneaky bastard.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

I shit my pants sometimes, but I never get scared.

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 03:13:57 PM
Once I was with my gf in the basement of her parents' house doing teenage stuff. Suddenly we heard somebody coming down the stairs...clomp, clomp, clomp. We got our clothes on fast as lightning. My heart was pounding and I'm thinking her dad is gonna kick my ass. Then the door opens and it's her new kitten who wasn't quite big enough to walk down the stairs and had to leap off each stair to get to the next lower one, making a thud each time. Cat's name was Puck. Sneaky bastard.

I can see the response to the cat now: "Puck ... off."  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

This is nowhere near shit-scared, but we had our house painted recently, and the doors are a darker color.  When I'm mowing the lawn out back, out of the corner of my eye the basement door always looks like it's wide open.  Bugs the crap out of me.  Hopefully I'll be used to it by next year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

A tie between being in a small boat in the middle of a herring school being attacked by killer whales and being on a university campus under siege by the Peoples Liberation Army.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on September 05, 2013, 04:11:48 PM
A tie between being in a small boat in the middle of a herring school being attacked by killer whales and being on a university campus under siege by the Peoples Liberation Army.

I dunno - do those count as "totally trivial" things you can laugh about afterwards ... ?   ;)

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 04:13:41 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 05, 2013, 04:11:48 PM

I dunno - do those count as "totally trivial" things you can laugh about afterwards ... ?   ;)

I dunno, they are parts of processes in which many herring and many chinese students were killed. They do, however, put everything else into context. It puts any fear response into it's proper context. The unknown doesn't scare me half as much as the known dangers I have seen.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 03:47:18 PM
This is nowhere near shit-scared, but we had our house painted recently, and the doors are a darker color.  When I'm mowing the lawn out back, out of the corner of my eye the basement door always looks like it's wide open.  Bugs the crap out of me.  Hopefully I'll be used to it by next year.

Paint that fucker white.  Problem solved.

Liep

My radiator once fell down from the wall and it gave off an incredible loud noise, scary in itself. But after rushing to turn off the water and burning myself in the process I tried to figure out why it fell.

To this day I don't know why as nothing had been torn from the wall on which it had been hanging for at least a decade. :ph34r:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

On a morning watch near Drake's Bay in California I was alone at the wheel in the fog.  No real danger as it was dead calm too.  Still, the two humpback whales that suddenly surfaced and spouted about 10 yards behind me scared the crap out of me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

A few years back I did a cross channel swim across porpoise bay*.  About mid channel a dark shape came up from underneath me.  Great, a killer whale has mistaken me for a seal!  As the dark shape came closer my heart stopped - this is it.  Turned out to be a large black seal, it was curious and swam with me for the next 30 minutes or so.

* just up from the Sunshine Coast North of Vancouver.