Main Menu

London skyscraper melts car

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2013, 08:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Damn, that's pretty incredible!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675
Quote'Walkie-Talkie' skyscraper melts Jaguar car parts

A new London skyscraper dubbed the "Walkie Talkie" has been blamed for reflecting light which melted parts of a car parked on a nearby street.

Martin Lindsay parked his Jaguar on Eastcheap, in the City of London, on Thursday afternoon.

When he returned about two hours later, he found parts of his car - including the wing mirror and badge - had melted.

Mr Lindsay said he "could not believe" the damage. The developers have apologised and paid for repairs.

The 37-storey skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street, which has been nicknamed the "Walkie Talkie" because of its shape, is currently under construction.
'Dangerous'

Mr Lindsay, director of tiling company Moderna Contracts Ltd, said: "I was walking down the road and saw a photographer taking photos and asked, 'what's happening?'

"The photographer asked me 'have you seen that car? The owner won't be happy.'

"I said: 'I am the owner. Crikey, that's awful.'"

The wing mirror, panels and Jaguar badge had all melted, Mr Lindsay said.

"You can't believe something like this would happen," he added. "They've got to do something about it.

"It could be dangerous. Imagine if the sun reflected on the wrong part of the body.

"On the windscreen, there was a note from the construction company saying 'your car's buckled, could you give us a call?'"

In a joint statement, developers Land Securities and Canary Wharf said: "We are aware of concerns regarding the light reflecting from 20 Fenchurch Street and are looking into the matter.

"As a precautionary measure, the City of London has agreed to suspend three parking bays in the area which may be affected while we investigate the situation further."

Mr Lindsay said the developers had apologised and agreed to sort out the £946 repair costs.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

That building is hideous.  Europeans just can't do skyscrapers right.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

I wonder if I pray hard enough, Ra will smite my enemies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on September 02, 2013, 10:16:59 PM
I wonder if I pray hard enough, Ra will smite my enemies.

My twins will mind blast your enemies for My little ponies from Build A Bear Workshop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Gups

Quote from: Queequeg on September 02, 2013, 09:13:22 PM

I like it. I prefer the varied shapes of the Shard, the walkie talkie, the cheesegrater and the gherkinto standard oblong skyscrapers.

Incidcentally, the shapes are necessary to protect views to St Pauls

Queequeg

Last time I was there one of the most prominent features of the London skyline was in shape completely indostinguishable from a dildo.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 03, 2013, 07:25:13 AM
Wot are U tryin` to say, m8?

Psellus is telling us about his dildo shape preferences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Gups on September 03, 2013, 04:48:21 AM

I like it. I prefer the varied shapes of the Shard, the walkie talkie, the cheesegrater and the gherkinto standard oblong skyscrapers.

Me, too. I think the buildings are pretty. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

KRonn

The Brits should weaponize this! A cheap laser.    :ph34r:

Gups

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on September 03, 2013, 04:48:21 AM

Mostly I agree with you; however, this particular building makes me feel queasy when I look at it. There's just something wrong and unsettling about the shape to my brain.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

In general, I think that cluster of buildings looks ridiculous. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"