Will the Congress approve military action against Syria

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2013, 01:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Congress approve military action against Syria?

Both the Senate and the House
16 (40%)
The Senate, but not the House
16 (40%)
The House, but not the Senate
0 (0%)
Neither of them will approve
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 39

KRonn

I think that Congress will approve. As more info comes out about setting an example to Syria or any other nation about using chemical/bio weapons, plus the info showing that the government did take the actions, Congress will become more and more likely to vote yes.

I'm still very divided on an attack though. I think attacking would have unintended negative ramifications but I'm thinking more now that letting this go by without punitive action is the worst option. Also shows Iran whether the US has the fortitude to carry out action on any "red lines" that have also been set with Iran.

merithyn

I think that the Senate will approve, but the House will not. Obama will move in, anyway.

From my perspective, we have little choice but to at least lob a few volleys at Syria. The question is: what will be the ramifications with only France to back us? I could see Putin feeling a need to put on his own show under the circumstances.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

KRonn

I'm not a fan of the US acting unilaterally or with only one other or a few other nations joining in. I'm very surprised and annoyed that there isn't more of an outcry on the use of these weapons by many more nations, and many more willing to act. With the banning of and the fear of using bio/chem weapons  there should be a lot more resolve by nations over the use of the weapons.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 08:50:58 AM
I think that the Senate will approve, but the House will not. Obama will move in, anyway.

If Obama is smart, he can and should use that scenario to beat the hell out of the "obstructionists" in the House who care more about party politics than taking a stand against the use of WMDs against women, chidlren, and civilians.

Of course, Obama has consistently shown an almost comical inability to make House Republicans pay or even take responsibility for their obstructionism, so I have no faith he will manage to do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 08:50:58 AM
From my perspective, we have little choice but to at least lob a few volleys at Syria. The question is: what will be the ramifications with only France to back us? I could see Putin feeling a need to put on his own show under the circumstances.

We have to lob a few missiles at Syria because international norms require a response even though the international weight of opinion is to the contrary?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2013, 10:08:59 AM
If Obama is smart, he can and should use that scenario to beat the hell out of the "obstructionists" in the House who care more about party politics than taking a stand against the use of WMDs against women, chidlren, and civilians.

Of course, Obama has consistently shown an almost comical inability to make House Republicans pay or even take responsibility for their obstructionism, so I have no faith he will manage to do so.

The public appears to be against an attack, including large numbers of Democrats. One man's obstructionism is another man's responsive representative government with some checks and balances on the executive branch.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

I'm wondering if Obama kicked it to congress so that he can "avoid" blame when/if they vote against action.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on September 03, 2013, 10:32:47 AM

We have to lob a few missiles at Syria because international norms require a response even though the international weight of opinion is to the contrary?

No, we have to lob a few missiles at Syria because we said that we would if they used WMD. :mellow:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 10:39:33 AM

No, we have to lob a few missiles at Syria because we said that we would if they used WMD. :mellow:

Making an ill advised statement shouldn't be a justification for war.

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on September 03, 2013, 11:24:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 10:39:33 AM

Making an ill advised statement shouldn't be a justification for war.

Following through on a perfectly well advised threat is a fine justification for taking action.

Saying that said action is "war" kind of misses the point that that war is already a done deal. They've had themselves a nice little war for some time now.

Indeed, the case in particular (responding to the use of chemical weapons means, by definition, that the response would be in most cases, a response to an already ongoing war and how it is fought, rather than starting a war.

Hyperbole is almost never useful in an argument.

The issue is not "war or no war" it is "intervene in existing war or don't".

0 rows returned

Berkut

And why is there this assumption that telling someone that using WMDs will result in a response suddenly "ill advised"? Hasn't that been the Western stance for just about forever?

0 rows returned

Bluebook

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2013, 11:45:18 AM
And why is there this assumption that telling someone that using WMDs will result in a response suddenly "ill advised"? Hasn't that been the Western stance for just about forever?

Yeah, that is something that worries me aswell. What the hell has happened when people argue like that.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2013, 11:44:12 AM
Following through on a perfectly well advised threat is a fine justification for taking action.

Saying that said action is "war" kind of misses the point that that war is already a done deal. They've had themselves a nice little war for some time now.

Indeed, the case in particular (responding to the use of chemical weapons means, by definition, that the response would be in most cases, a response to an already ongoing war and how it is fought, rather than starting a war.

Hyperbole is almost never useful in an argument.

The issue is not "war or no war" it is "intervene in existing war or don't".

We are discussing launching missiles at targets in Syria. That is an act of war. We will be going to war with Syria. That isn't hyperbole, that is reality.

I don't see how it is reasonable to go to war against Syria to uphold a threat made in order to "uphold international norms", when the action isn't endorsed by the UN and is against international opinion. The case for an attack here--while less ambitious and less dangerous--seems even more dubious than in Iraq.