News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ever Been Shit-Scared ...

Started by Malthus, September 05, 2013, 02:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Every time I look into the pot afterwards.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Viking on September 06, 2013, 12:52:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 06, 2013, 12:35:53 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 06, 2013, 12:29:15 PM
Apparently we know this instinctivly as well. That pod of killer whales attacking the herring under the boat I was in freaked the living shit out of me.. but, I wasn't afraid of being eaten if I fell over board, I was afraid of being knocked off the boat by a collision and accidentally stunned by a bait ball bash or a collision with a whale and drowning/freezing.

I think you have a point there.  My parents had pictures of me playing in the ocean as a small child with the dorsal fins of a pod of Orca in the background.  I was looking at them but had no fear.  Neither apparantly did my parents as they took the time to snap the photos.

These associations must be hardwired in us somehow over mellenia of living near eachother.

Fear of snakes is not learned. We know this by instinct. The same presumably applies to sharks. Remember, dolphins are as big, as dangerous and much smarter than sharks but we do not fear them. Sea world doesn't have many people swimming with sharks.

It is?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2013, 03:35:58 PM
Apparently we know this instinctivly as well. That pod of killer whales attacking the herring under the boat I was in freaked the living shit out of me.. but, I wasn't afraid of being eaten if I fell over board, I was afraid of being knocked off the boat by a collision and accidentally stunned by a bait ball bash or a collision with a whale and drowning/freezing.

I think you have a point there.  My parents had pictures of me playing in the ocean as a small child with the dorsal fins of a pod of Orca in the background.  I was looking at them but had no fear.  Neither apparantly did my parents as they took the time to snap the photos.

These associations must be hardwired in us somehow over mellenia of living near eachother.

Fear of snakes is not learned. We know this by instinct. The same presumably applies to sharks. Remember, dolphins are as big, as dangerous and much smarter than sharks but we do not fear them. Sea world doesn't have many people swimming with sharks.

So what is the deal then with people who aren't afraid of snakes?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, though I've learned, the hard way, not to pick up garter snakes.

[They may not have an effective bite, but they shit a terrible smelling poop on you as a defence mechanism]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2013, 03:35:58 PM

So what is the deal then with people who aren't afraid of snakes?

That was my point.

Ideologue

Wait, so Raz was wrong about something that happens outside of the four walls of his house?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The first time I saw a possum i thought it was a 25 pound rat.

mongers

Nothing has ever really scared me; on a few occasions, some time later I thought "Oh that was a bit close/hairy", but no. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2013, 04:12:44 PM
Wait, so Raz was wrong about something that happens outside of the four walls of his house?

Nope.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017