News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Customer swallows human toe in Dawson City bar

Started by lustindarkness, August 28, 2013, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/08/27/north-sourtoe-eaten.html?cmp=rss

QuoteCustomer swallows human toe in Dawson City bar
Man downs famous "sourtoe," slaps $500 on bar
CBC News Posted: Aug 27, 2013 8:17 AM CT Last Updated: Aug 27, 2013 7:00 PM CT   

A customer at the Downtown Hotel in Dawson City swallowed the toe in the famous Sourtoe Cocktail Saturday night.

Terry Lee was the "toe captain" in the bar that night.

He says the customer swallowed his drink with the toe in it, put five hundred dollars on the table.

The toe is part of a famous Dawson City tradition which involves drinking a shot of whisky. The toe is usually dropped into the glass and the drinker must have the toe touch their lips.

The posted "fine" for swallowing the toe was $500.

Lee says he was told the man is an American who had been living in Dawson for the summer.

The man was said to have just picked up his rent deposit because he was leaving town.

The Sour Toe started in 1973 when local eccentric named Captain Dick found a severed toe preserved in a jar. Several have been consumed or destroyed over the years. (Philippe Morin/CBC)Lee says it's not the first time the toe has been swallowed but he believes this is the first time it was deliberate.

The fine for swallowing the toe has now been raised to $2500.

Lee says the tradition will continue as the bar had a backup toe.

Over the years, more than eight toes have gone missing or been stolen or destroyed. A new replacement has been found every time.

It's estimated that more than 60,000 people have paid for the privilege of drinking a shot of Yukon Gold whiskey featuring this genuine human toe.

Lee says he and the hotel, which owned the last toe, are hoping another one will be donated.

:alberta:

I have no problem with drunks and their weird drinking games, but my question is. Where the fuck do they get human toes?:

QuoteOver the years, more than eight toes have gone missing or been stolen or destroyed. A new replacement has been found every time.

:ph34r:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Having drank the sour toe cocktail myself...

People donate them.  The first toe was found in a jar of salt in an old prospectors cabin - it was lost due to frostbite.

But now a few people will leave the Downtown Hotel their toe in their will.  Apparently they have several toes on standby.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

And God Bless you Lusti for starting a Yukon thread. :hug:

derspiess

I heard about this bar in Maxim.  Didn't know they've gone through multiple toes over the years. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Hmm, interesting. I know I can donate my body to science and organs, but I had no idea I could leave an appendage to someone in my will.

BB, was it good wiskey?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

:x I think I'm going to throw up, and I haven't even had my Triple Stacker yet.

lustindarkness

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2013, 10:20:12 AM
:x I think I'm going to throw up, and I haven't even had my Triple Stacker yet.

You don't like whiskey? :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tamas

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

QuoteA Hawaii-based soldier claims he was injured by a needle a few bites into his Burger King Triple Stacker in December 2010. According to a lawsuit filed against the burger chain, Army Staff Sgt. Clark Bartholomew was eating the meal at home when he allegedly bit into a wayward needle that made his tongue bleed. He was hospitalized for six days after another needle was found in his small intestine; Bartholomew has sued the company for "severe physical injury" to his stomach, rectum, and tongue.

http://theweek.com/article/index/228033/10nbspdisgusting-things-allegedly-found-in-fast-food
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 28, 2013, 10:10:11 AM
Hmm, interesting. I know I can donate my body to science and organs, but I had no idea I could leave an appendage to someone in my will.

BB, was it good wiskey?

No, they serve it in Yukon Jack.  :yucky:

It was slow the day we did it, so we asked the guy about the toe and where it came from.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 28, 2013, 11:14:03 AM
QuoteA Hawaii-based soldier claims he was injured by a needle a few bites into his Burger King Triple Stacker in December 2010. According to a lawsuit filed against the burger chain, Army Staff Sgt. Clark Bartholomew was eating the meal at home when he allegedly bit into a wayward needle that made his tongue bleed. He was hospitalized for six days after another needle was found in his small intestine; Bartholomew has sued the company for "severe physical injury" to his stomach, rectum, and tongue.

http://theweek.com/article/index/228033/10nbspdisgusting-things-allegedly-found-in-fast-food

Never get fast food while in uniform, soldier.