Somalia is suffering an "explosive" outbreak of polio

Started by jimmy olsen, August 22, 2013, 10:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Sigh, do you even read my posts anymore.

QuoteYou will note that the problem has been caused by the nonsense people were spouting about vaccination causing autism.  That shows up in the data where the pockets are formed in affluent communities (not just poor folks as you asserted).  Interestingly the data shows that while poor folks have underimmunized children they do not tend to have children who are not immunized at all.  The characteristics of the two groups tend to be different.  Basically - poor = probably dont have the full schedule of immunization while rich and stupid means you bought into the autism scare and simply refused to have your child immunized.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 12:32:34 PM

QuoteYou will note that the problem has been caused by the nonsense people were spouting about vaccination causing autism.  That shows up in the data where the pockets are formed in affluent communities (not just poor folks as you asserted).  Interestingly the data shows that while poor folks have underimmunized children they do not tend to have children who are not immunized at all.  The characteristics of the two groups tend to be different.  Basically - poor = probably dont have the full schedule of immunization while rich and stupid means you bought into the autism scare and simply refused to have your child immunized.

:huh:

Still not seeing what you're arguing. I said that the situation was getting better. Where does this refute that?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 12:33:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 12:32:34 PM

Still not seeing what you're arguing. I said that the situation was getting better. Where does this refute that?

You said the only people not getting vaccinated are poor people in an attempt to buttress your argument that the autism scare convincing people not to vaccinate was nothing more than an internet meme.  You were wrong about that.  There are still pockets of affluent people who are still not getting their kids vaccinated.  By the way I think I recall you arguing back in the day against vaccinations because of the "risks" or am I confusing you with someone else?

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 12:37:35 PM

You said the only people not getting vaccinated are poor people in an attempt to buttress your argument that the autism scare convincing people not to vaccinate was nothing more than an internet meme.  You were wrong about that.  There are still pockets of affluent people who are still not getting their kids vaccinated.  By the way I think I recall you arguing back in the day against vaccinations because of the "risks" or am I confusing you with someone else?

Now who's not reading whose posts? I posted CDC stats showing that AFTER A DIP more people than ever are being vaccinated in the US.  What the hell are YOU trying to say?

I've never been against vaccinations as a rule. I was against certain vaccinations being required by law for school children, such as varicella, due to the ongoing risks associated with adults not getting boosters and ending up with a much more severe case of chicken pox. I felt that people should have the right to decide for themselves for those vaccines that are essentially convenience vaccines. The risks have since been mostly remedied which has changed some of my leanings on that, though I still don't believe that they should be required by law.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
Now who's not reading whose posts?

So who was it that said this?

QuoteMost kids who aren't vaccinated are below the poverty line, and I have a feeling that those parents aren't so up on the scare-mongering regarding "natural parenting", etc.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 12:45:13 PM

QuoteMost kids who aren't vaccinated are below the poverty line, and I have a feeling that those parents aren't so up on the scare-mongering regarding "natural parenting", etc.

READ THE FUCKING STATS, CC! That is an accurate and true statement directly from the CDC!

My point is and was that IT'S GETTING BETTER! For fuck's sake! You do hold onto whatever bone you think someone has given you, even when it turns out to be a rock, don't you?

Neil

Why would you assume that poor people aren't vulnerable to scaremongering?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 12:47:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 12:45:13 PM

READ THE FUCKING STATS, CC! That is an accurate and true statement directly from the CDC!

My point is and was that IT'S GETTING BETTER! For fuck's sake! You do hold onto whatever bone you think someone has given you, even when it turns out to be a rock, don't you?

Sigh,

The point you are making does not address the concern I raised, which is that there are pockets of morons who continue to refuse to vaccinate.  You blamed it on poverty.  The facts do not support your assumption.

In the other thread you made a point about people who are good at math not necessarily being smart.  But any statistician will tell you that simply because an overall population is doing something does not mean that there are still not outliers that are doing something completely different.  Which is of course the problem!

I have read the fucking stats and there is nothing there to support your suggestion that poor folks tend not to vaccinate in greater numbers.  Indeed on that stats you gave the difference on some of the charts is so small as to likely be statistically insignficant.  I have already referred you to links which suggest that affluent folks are not vaccinated for stupid reasons.  If you wish to read them be my guest but I am done with you.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 01:49:02 PM

Sigh,

The point you are making does not address the concern I raised, which is that there are pockets of morons who continue to refuse to vaccinate.  You blamed it on poverty.  The facts do not support your assumption.

I did no such thing! I said that those pockets are shrinking. I said that the highest number of people not vaccinating were poor. Just because you read that differently doesn't mean that I made that point.

QuoteIn the other thread you made a point about people who are good at math not necessarily being smart.  But any statistician will tell you that simply because an overall population is doing something does not mean that there are still not outliers that are doing something completely different.  Which is of course the problem!

I have read the fucking stats and there is nothing there to support your suggestion that poor folks tend not to vaccinate in greater numbers.  Indeed on that stats you gave the difference on some of the charts is so small as to likely be statistically insignficant.  I have already referred you to links which suggest that affluent folks are not vaccinated for stupid reasons. 

Wow. So, you're arguing some argument you assumed that I meant, though I never said any of the things that you're claiming.

QuoteIf you wish to read them be my guest but I am done with you.

Thank god.

Ed Anger

I wish CC and Meri would just fuck each other's brains out, as the sexual tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2013, 05:02:49 PM
I wish CC and Meri would just fuck each other's brains out, as the sexual tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Pfft, that never worked for us.   Lying bastard, it was all just about the cock.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2013, 05:02:49 PM

Gross.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.