Where would you take the farm animals?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 02:32:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 02:19:44 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 02:02:03 PM
Another solution would be not having gajillions of people in an arid region. LA, Las Vegas, I'm looking at you...
Why?

Because you need to bring lots of water and other resources from somewhere else at a huge expense? LA grew so big by raping water resources from Eastern California.
Actually I believe Arizona was what was mostly raped with a siphoning of the Colorado River. Palm Springs isn't exactly an oasis. :P

Not sure how that's a net negative for California.

I was thinking mostly about the California Water Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars) that ruined the Owens Valley area. Chinatown, which I quoted earlier, is partly based on them.

Ah gotcha. Well on an importance scale, I'd pick LA over Owens Valley any day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

lustindarkness

Quote from: The Brain on August 21, 2013, 03:08:09 PM

To areas that can support them. Is there plenty of water and farm land in Sweden?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2013, 03:08:06 PM
That's a lot of Mexicans to ethnically cleanse vato.

And your point is?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 21, 2013, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 21, 2013, 03:08:09 PM

To areas that can support them. Is there plenty of water and farm land in Sweden?

We don't suffer from water or land insecurity.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

I got another idea that could help, we could take all the ice from the north, them canadians don't need it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Fireblade

Read the title, was about to comment on the obscene amount of rain that Arkansas has received, along the lines of "haha, motherfuckers, if this keeps up I'm going to the King Saud of water," but then I saw that the article is talking about the desert.

As long as Colorado/Oklahoma doesn't realize the Arkansas River is full of water, the coming water shortages aren't going to be shit for me. The Arkansas River is like a mile from my house and I can throw a rock into a tributary, and both of those fuckers flood every time the sky is cloudy. I mean, fuck, this time last week I was stacking up sandbags to keep water out of my house. <_<

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 21, 2013, 03:15:18 PM
I got another idea that could help, we could take all the ice from the north, them canadians don't need it.

There was some scheme to do that back in the 80s.  Some guy was going to float icebergs down into the LA harbour.   As I recall, it never got the necessary regulatory approvals from either government.

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 11:09:47 AM

There was some scheme to do that back in the 80s.  Some guy was going to float icebergs down into the LA harbour.   As I recall, it never got the necessary regulatory approvals from either government.

I was not real serious, but I wonder if there could be some realistic way for buying ice from up north and floating it down south.  :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

We can't even agree to build an Oil Pipeline. You think we can agree on building a water pipeline?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 26, 2013, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 11:09:47 AM

I was not real serious, but I wonder if there could be some realistic way for buying ice from up north and floating it down south.  :hmm:

As I recall it now, nobody wanted to take the risk that the icebergs might detach from the tugs taking it down.  Having them floating in busy shipping lanes wouldnt make anyone happy. Also I dont think they thought there way through how to get the the ice water onto shore in an economic manner.  The plan was to envelope the ice in some kind of sheeting and then pump the water to shore as it melted.  But you would have to get close to shore for that to occur and that was a problem.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2013, 12:03:57 PM
We can't even agree to build an Oil Pipeline. You think we can agree on building a water pipeline?

That has also been proposed and rejected.  Also in the 80s iirc.  Nobody here wants to give up their water resources so that Americans can live in a desert.

lustindarkness

Why would we care what Canadians want?

But as far as I'm concerned, people should not live in the desert. For all I care, we could recycle as much as we can from the cities in the southwest and then turn off the water.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

The Saudis did that once with an iceberg.

Must not be cost-effective, because I never read about them doing it again.