News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peak Water in the US South?

Started by Jacob, August 21, 2013, 12:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I mentioned before that Vegas has sensible lawns for the desert: gravel, rocks, and cacti.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2013, 11:04:06 AM
I mentioned before that Vegas has sensible lawns for the desert: gravel, rocks, and cacti.

Yeah that's the kind of desert landscaping that I'm talking about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 10:35:06 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 21, 2013, 10:23:22 AM
Seems the best thing then is to live in places that are naturally fit for human habitation.

So you want a die back?

Nah, just no interest in living in Arizona or west Texas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

I would think that desalination plants are a part of the solution for some of the water shortages, in California especially. And why haven't any been built yet? Other nations use them, like Saudi Arabia.

MadImmortalMan

California imports their power too. I doubt there's enough juice for them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Another solution would be not having gajillions of people in an arid region. LA, Las Vegas, I'm looking at you...

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on August 21, 2013, 01:49:05 PM
I would think that desalination plants are a part of the solution for some of the water shortages, in California especially. And why haven't any been built yet? Other nations use them, like Saudi Arabia.

Texas presently has about 100 desalination plants.  Probably going to need alot more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 02:02:03 PM
Another solution would be not having gajillions of people in an arid region. LA, Las Vegas, I'm looking at you...

Why?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 21, 2013, 01:59:14 PM
California imports their power too. I doubt there's enough juice for them.

That's not California's fault.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 02:19:44 PM
Why?

Because you need to bring lots of water and other resources from somewhere else at a huge expense? LA grew so big by raping water resources from Eastern California.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 02:32:57 PM
Why?

Because you need to bring lots of water and other resources from somewhere else at a huge expense? LA grew so big by raping water resources from Eastern California.

Actually I believe Arizona was what was mostly raped with a siphoning of the Colorado River. Palm Springs isn't exactly an oasis. :P

Not sure how that's a net negative for California.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 02:32:57 PM
Why?

Actually I believe Arizona was what was mostly raped with a siphoning of the Colorado River. Palm Springs isn't exactly an oasis. :P

Not sure how that's a net negative for California.

I was thinking mostly about the California Water Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars) that ruined the Owens Valley area. Chinatown, which I quoted earlier, is partly based on them.

lustindarkness

I would remove any and all invasive plants and animals in the southwest.
That would include lawns, crops, farm animals and people (not native americans, they were there before the evil white man).  :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

That's a lot of Mexicans to ethnically cleanse vato.