Gorgeous portraits captures feminine side of masculinity

Started by merithyn, August 20, 2013, 06:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I'm not overly keen on the pics, but then, I'm not overly keen on the same things with women in them. I prefer less posed portraits of real people, rather than overly posed pictures of very pretty people.

Pics can be found here.

QuoteAre you sick of art history's obsession with the gentle beauty of a female muse? Enough of these beautiful women with coy glances, flowing locks and milky soft skin -- we're ready for the men.

Nir Arieli's portrait series "Men" places men in traditionally feminine spaces and postures, illuminating the human characteristics that have, over time, become decidedly feminine traits. The following male muses are making us wish men felt free to explore their feminine sides more often. Behold, 11 reasons men should get in touch with a softer self. Read more about Arieli below.

"In my work I try to expose a component of masculinity that was once oppressed by common social codes," Arieli wrote in an email to The Huffington Post. "Gentleness, uncensored emotion, vulnerability –- all of these became, under the influence of the social evolution, unnatural characteristics when manifested by men."

For his subjects, Arieli selects men who freely exhibit characteristics normally reserved for feminine territory. "They do it unapologetically and shamelessly, almost proclaiming a new forthcomingness," Arieli explained.

It's a large leap from Arieli's initial photography endeavor, serving as a military photographer for an Israeli magazine. With their gentle palettes and soft gazes, Arieli's "Men" emanate a tenderness not normally associated with masculinity. After gushing over this series, we're beginning to question why that is.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

merithyn

mongers

Arse, I clicked on the link; now I'm gonna have to clear my interwebs cache and the NSA have forever added another tag to my profile.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Most of them don't look particularly feminine to me. They generally have strong, square jawlines, eyes not too far apart, some facial hair etc.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2013, 06:44:19 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 20, 2013, 06:37:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2013, 06:33:14 PM
Why are they all crying?  Gay.

Because it's feminine to cry. :cry:

That's sexist.  You know better than that.

Of course I do. The artist, however, doesn't appear to.

Okay, so question. Is it an insult to call a man feminine?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on August 20, 2013, 06:57:29 PM

It's like "nigga". Blacks can use it but whites can't.    :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 20, 2013, 06:55:53 PM
Most of them don't look particularly feminine to me. They generally have strong, square jawlines, eyes not too far apart, some facial hair etc.

Wide-set eyes is a girly thing?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 20, 2013, 06:57:29 PM
Of course I do. The artist, however, doesn't appear to.

Duh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall