The irregular anti-clerical column: 'Abortion far worse than Child Abuse'

Started by Alatriste, May 29, 2009, 07:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

When asked about the massive cases of child abuse uncovered in Ireland, he lamented them in one (one!) phrase, proceeded to announce than in any case abortion was far worse and then delivered a stirring tirade on the 40.000.000 'children' 'murdered' in abortions in Spain in 23 years of very limited abortion (only three cases allowed under the law: rape, serious danger for the mother, grave fetus malformations)

Nuff said.

In english

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0529/1224247669311.html

In spanish

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/sociedad/Canizares/ministro/Papa/ve/peor/abortar/abusar/ninos/elpepusoc/20090529elpepisoc_4/Tes

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

:D The best way to propagandize against some groups is to give them a microphone.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quoteonly three cases allowed under the law: rape, serious danger for the mother, grave fetus malformations

Wow.  I would think even most pro-lifers would grudgingly agree that abortion is probably the lesser of evils in these scenarios.

40,000,000?  You sure have alot of rapes in Spain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 08:37:12 AM
Quoteonly three cases allowed under the law: rape, serious danger for the mother, grave fetus malformations

Wow.  I would think even most pro-lifers would grudgingly agree that abortion is probably the lesser of evils in these scenarios.

You didn't watch the Presidential debates last year, did you?

At about 35 seconds in, McCain describes "health of the mother" as "the extreme pro-abortion position."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZOyxfiNoU

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on May 29, 2009, 09:12:26 AM
At about 35 seconds in, McCain describes "health of the mother" as "the extreme pro-abortion position."

That wasn't exactly what he was saying.  He was saying the pro-abortion crowd takes the principal of "health of the mother" to mean anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 09:15:58 AM

That wasn't exactly what he was saying.  He was saying the pro-abortion crowd takes the principal of "health of the mother" to mean anything.
Still, it's nice to know that ulmont isn't to be trusted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 09:15:58 AM

Really.  You're going to listen to that quote and say McCain does not describe "health of the mother" as "the extreme pro-abortion position"?   Here, let me give you the transcript:

Quote from: McCainThat's the extreme pro-abortion position, quote, "health."
http://www.wkrg.com/news/article/mccain_obama_last_debate_transcript_page_2/20027/

ulmont

Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2009, 09:20:08 AM

It is true that I am not ethnically Albertan.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on May 29, 2009, 09:21:18 AM
Really.  You're going to listen to that quote and say McCain does not describe "health of the mother" as "the extreme pro-abortion position"?   Here, let me give you the transcript:

Well he doesn't really address the question.  Like most Presidential debates he quickly hurries past the idea and goes on to talk about what he really wants to talk about: adoption.

I have a hard time believing he really believes abortion is allowed if the health of the mother is at stake is really that extreme position.  Rather he seems to be saying that idea has been hijacked to basically allow all abortions.  But even if he really was saying that he probably is only saying the party line and wouldn't really outlaw abortions in the event the life or health of the mother is at stake if he had the power to do so.

But who knows?

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 09:35:33 AM
But who knows?
I do, but only because Neil has allowed this.  Praise Alberta, the Wyoming of the north.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on May 29, 2009, 09:21:44 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2009, 09:20:08 AM

It is true that I am not ethnically Albertan.
Indeed.  You're also an agent of Obamania, and an enemy of the American people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

The annoying part about this is that it is linked to clerical sex abuse, which makes it more than a trifle odd. It is sort of an attempt at a tu quoque against secular society, but to what end? 

However, as a matter of fact, if one was of the opinion that abortion = murder, then the comparison is clearly a true statement: murder is worse that abuse.

I'm not of the opinion that abortion is murder myself. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2009, 09:57:21 AM
I'm not of the opinion that abortion is murder myself. 

Abortion clearly kills something and sometimes killing is necessary unfortunately.  But it is not murder until a certain arbitrary point in the pregnancy we struggly to define :P

DGuller

Quote from: Alatriste on May 29, 2009, 07:56:25 AM
When asked about the massive cases of child abuse uncovered in Ireland, he lamented them in one (one!) phrase, proceeded to announce than in any case abortion was far worse and then delivered a stirring tirade on the 40.000.000 'children' 'murdered' in abortions in Spain in 23 years of very limited abortion (only three cases allowed under the law: rape, serious danger for the mother, grave fetus malformations)
If you have 40 million abortions in 23 years in a country like Spain, then obviously abortion is not that limited in practice.  Either the limitations are not followed in practice, or "serious danger for the mother" is interpreted very loosely.