And we're back!

Main Menu

[MP] Europa Universalis IV: Jaron Arising

Started by Fireblade, August 14, 2013, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatron

Tamas

Tamas

I have been wondering about the potential issues with players playing minors, I mean, if those issues have been eliminated by the EU4 mechanics or not.

Basically, when having a small human country around, it basically forces others to suspend optimal play to let the small guy get up to speed, at which point of course the once-small guy can really give you trouble.
eg. when Habbaku`s tincy-wincy Prussia was next to my Austria. I chose to collaborate with him for a while but that was a deliberately self-hurting decision. The rational thing to do in that scenario (and during boardgame plays, I make it sort of a matter of being rationall ruthless out of respect for the opponents) is to eliminate the small player from the game before he could become a nemesis of you.

Now, such elimination was entirely possible in EU3. It is much less possible in EU4 due to stuff like overextension and the war force-stopping diplo option. Is it made impossible enough? I am not sure.

Anatron

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2013, 10:38:03 AM
I have been wondering about the potential issues with players playing minors, I mean, if those issues have been eliminated by the EU4 mechanics or not.

Basically, when having a small human country around, it basically forces others to suspend optimal play to let the small guy get up to speed, at which point of course the once-small guy can really give you trouble.
eg. when Habbaku`s tincy-wincy Prussia was next to my Austria. I chose to collaborate with him for a while but that was a deliberately self-hurting decision. The rational thing to do in that scenario (and during boardgame plays, I make it sort of a matter of being rationall ruthless out of respect for the opponents) is to eliminate the small player from the game before he could become a nemesis of you.

Now, such elimination was entirely possible in EU3. It is much less possible in EU4 due to stuff like overextension and the war force-stopping diplo option. Is it made impossible enough? I am not sure.

In EU4 Venice is not a minor power.Its a matter of diplomacy  can you elliminate it or not.There are several nations who can benefit from a weak empire...  :menace:
In single player I defeated Austria in 3 wars with Venice till 1473.of course human inteligence is more dangerous,but dont look down the diplomatic possibilities of Venice.

Solmyr

Quote from: Anatron on August 16, 2013, 12:38:53 PM
In single player I defeated Austria in 3 wars with Venice till 1473.of course human inteligence is more dangerous,but dont look down the diplomatic possibilities of Venice.

That means you'll defeat Tamas in 2 wars.

Anatron

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2013, 01:09:29 PM

Sounds like I have an ally! :D

Jaron

When are you looking to start this?

And maybe Tamas is right. It might be best to flesh out the major powers before allowing minors to be taken.

We really should have an England before a Venice or Portugal. If Anatron doesn't want them and no one else comes to claim them, I'll take England.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Anatron

Quote from: Jaron on August 16, 2013, 01:18:02 PM
When are you looking to start this?

And maybe Tamas is right. It might be best to flesh out the major powers before allowing minors to be taken.

We really should have an England before a Venice or Portugal. If Anatron doesn't want them and no one else comes to claim them, I'll take England.

But we dont have Spain either.
I can take England if no more players joins the game.

Jaron

True, I'll fill out Spain if no one else joins and wants to take them.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2013, 01:09:29 PM

:XD:

Solmyr

Seen

Excellent time even for euros. Sadly said yes to slargos sunday game at the same time. If im out early (not unlikely, he boxed me in with veterans) I would love to rejoin the ancient league of languish games.

Dont forget AARs!

Tamas

Ok, I propose the following list of "mandatory" countries before adventurous minors are allowed: Portugal, Spain, England, France, Austria, Ottomans, Muscovy/Novgorod.

Tamas

Oh, and I am willing to take a Russian power if needed.