Kickstarter games

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2013, 10:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2013, 09:18:08 AM
There's subbable.com now too.

That is for supporting youtube content creators mainly, which is more of a 'pass the hat' for something you are already getting for free.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 14, 2013, 08:37:55 AM
Count me in with the "always seen it more as patronage" crowd.  I've supported a couple, but they're mostly symbolic gestures in the form of a couple of dollars here and there- I have yet to seriously put skin into one of these projects.

Yeah my rule is no more than $50.00 to any one project and I have only ever contributed $20.00 or more twice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

I've only ever participated in one kickstarter. I put in something like $150, and I got a huge amount of stuff for it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

Worked out okay for me.

crazy canuck

Yeah, my point isnt that it cant work out.  The fear is that as this niche grows it is going to attract  con artists so unless people do some good due diligence they are going to get shafted.  And to all those who said earlier in the thread something to the effect that the bad apples wont get funding - just consider the most recent penny stock scam in the news today. 

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2013, 10:40:40 AM
Yeah, my point isnt that it cant work out.  The fear is that as this niche grows it is going to attract  con artists so unless people do some good due diligence they are going to get shafted.  And to all those who said earlier in the thread something to the effect that the bad apples wont get funding - just consider the most recent penny stock scam in the news today.

I think it's pretty much inevitable... in fact, I'm sure it's happened already.

Valmy

I do not get why 'it cant work out'.  Art patronage has been going on for centuries.  Does it attact con men and other bad apples?  Sure.  But I guess by your logic art patronage should have failed centuries ago.  Besides most people contribute to people they are already fans of, with proven track records, and people they know personally.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on August 14, 2013, 10:46:11 AM

I think it's pretty much inevitable... in fact, I'm sure it's happened already.

Of course.  I have seen a few projects deflate funds spectacularly then bad word of mouth went against them.

The Brain

I think Kickstarter should be shut down until there's a 100% foolproof system in place.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2013, 11:01:39 AM

I do not get why 'it cant work out'. 

Valmy, did you hire Grumbler's reader for today?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
Valmy, did you hire Grumbler's reader for today?

Ack I guess I did :blush:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2013, 05:23:58 PM
I agree with Seduction Community.  Do it like venture capital.  Hand out shares of the upside for seed money.

Then you have a lot more regulatory issues, even post JOBS Act.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2013, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 13, 2013, 03:31:01 PM
It would be nice if a partial return on investment  if the thing sells was included  with kickstarter....
And the way groups who could get   money via conventional mean   increasingly tale advantage o  it... it is iffy

How about you delete that and try again? :P
Huh?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on August 14, 2013, 03:52:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2013, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 13, 2013, 03:31:01 PM
It would be nice if a partial return on investment  if the thing sells was included  with kickstarter....
And the way groups who could get   money via conventional mean   increasingly tale advantage o  it... it is iffy

How about you delete that and try again? :P
Huh?

Yes, exactly. The post garbon responded to is close to incomprehensible.