The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2013, 05:10:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 03:52:55 PM
1992 GDP: 483 trillion
2012 GDP: 476 trillion

GDP figures are nominal.

1992 pop: 124 million
2012 pop: 127 million

This looks pretty damn lost to me.  Japan has more people than they did 20 years ago, but less GDP.  Any economic improvement they may have enjoyed in the past 20 years has been in the form of price decreases.
Are things ever going to be good enough for the population to just kick back and relax, and not procreate too much?  :hmm:

I see all too often people citing growth, but not often are people citing how much we already grew to.  Obviously there is a difference between steady state economies and growth economies, and a growth economy that stops growing is going to cause painful dislocations, but I am wondering were we're going with all that economic growth.  What's the end game, a new iPad every week?

When was the first time you were approached by the Communists? Was it someone you knew? Maybe even trusted? Could you then imagine the baby steps that would lead you to being a card-carrying member of the Party? All the little lies you would tell yourself to balm your conscience and to make what you did seem fair, maybe even noble? Probably not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2013, 05:15:11 PM
When was the first time you were approached by the Communists? Was it someone you knew? Maybe even trusted? Could you then imagine the baby steps that would lead you to being a card-carrying member of the Party? All the little lies you would tell yourself to balm your conscience and to make what you did seem fair, maybe even noble? Probably not.

He was planted as a not so secret mole. So obvious that he was sure to be overlooked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

:mad: I was actually supposed to be a secret mole.  :(

The Brain

Have you been a bad mole? Do you need to be punished?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2013, 10:20:35 AM
Have you been a bad mole? Do you need to be punished?

You get the board, I'll get the water.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 19, 2013, 05:04:17 PM
Yeah, there's a lot more run down older buildings in Japan. Everything in Korea looks shinny and new in comparison.
:hmm:
I'm not so sure about that. I saw a lot of pretty ghetto run down areas in Korea. It seems to have the same buildings designed to last 5 minutes and who cares how they look philosophy and it did have economic troubles of its own back in the late 90s iirc.

There was this one really cool area in Seoul, it was a street full of electronics components shops which was beneath what looked like a disused highway, which was in turn lined with closed down shops. It was fascinating, would be a great place to shoot a post-apocolptic themed music video.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

GDP figures are nominal.

This looks pretty damn lost to me.  Japan has more people than they did 20 years ago, but less GDP.  Any economic improvement they may have enjoyed in the past 20 years has been in the form of price decreases.

Yeah, but when you have over a billion dollars per capita GDP, I think you can afford to lose a few million here and there. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2013, 11:21:35 AM

GDP figures are nominal.

Yeah, but when you have over a billion dollars per capita GDP, I think you can afford to lose a few million here and there. :P

That's actually only about 3 million per capita. Still, I suspect he mistyped somewhere. Or perhaps the figures are in yen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I meant million.

Well, I mean, I meant to my math right. :weep:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2013, 11:24:43 AM
. Or perhaps the figures are in yen.

Yes the numbers are in yen.  That way there is a like to like comparison that doesn't get distorted by $/yen currency movements.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

GDP figures are nominal.

date=1376945575]
1992 GDP: 3.87 trillion
2012 GDP: 5.54 trillion

GDP figures are nominal.

Converted to USD. There are different sides to the story.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2013, 03:06:00 PM
date=1376945575]
1992 GDP: 3.87 trillion
2012 GDP: 5.54 trillion

GDP figures are nominal.

Converted to USD. There are different sides to the story.

1992 USD:JPY - 130

2012 USD:JPY - 80
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Stuff on the world market is paid in USD, so they can now import much more stuff for the same amount of Yen. As there was a deflation in Japan for most of the last two decades they probably have a higher domestic purchasing power now than they had in 1992 too. So as Minsky said, their "growth" could be through price decreases. Are you getting richer when your income stagnates but everything you buy gets cheaper all the time? I guess so...

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

What are those two charts supposed to tell us?