Seriously, This Is As Bad As The Nazis.

Started by mongers, August 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2013, 08:46:32 PM
I'm actually fuzzy on what PC actually means.  Could you clue me in, Yi?

As Shelf alluded to, part of it is just being nice.  No more fag jokes.  No more nigger jokes.

Which is all well and good, but as i already explained where political correctness went off the rails was in handing off to the various oppressed victim groups that had the good fortune or political wile to achieve that status the ability to decide for themselves what is and what is not offensive.  Another failing is to deny members of these groups agency.  They do not make bad choices, they only respond to oppression and victimization.  So all evil in the world is caused by oppressors, i.e. white men.

A good example of the former is the burgeoning intra-black discussion on black culture, responsibility, etc.  I.e. it doesn't help things when young black men act like thugs.  No way a non-black can advance that argument.  But other blacks can, and that was the carefully couched, deeply qualified point that Obama made during his "personal response" to the Zimmerman verdict which I applauded.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2013, 08:49:15 PM
Neo-liberal's an agenda that encompasses Maggie, the IMF and New Labour.

That's what I said.  An understanding that if you fuck with the market the market will fuck with you.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2013, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2013, 08:46:32 PM
I'm actually fuzzy on what PC actually means.  Could you clue me in, Yi?

As Shelf alluded to, part of it is just being nice.  No more fag jokes.  No more nigger jokes.

Which is all well and good, but as i already explained where political correctness went off the rails was in handing off to the various oppressed victim groups that had the good fortune or political wile to achieve that status the ability to decide for themselves what is and what is not offensive.  Another failing is to deny members of these groups agency.  They do not make bad choices, they only respond to oppression and victimization.  So all evil in the world is caused by oppressors, i.e. white men.

A good example of the former is the burgeoning intra-black discussion on black culture, responsibility, etc.  I.e. it doesn't help things when young black men act like thugs.  No way a non-black can advance that argument.  But other blacks can, and that was the carefully couched, deeply qualified point that Obama made during his "personal response" to the Zimmerman verdict which I applauded.

Yet I see the term consistently applied to other things.  For instance there is a whole set of books called "The politically Incorrect guide to _____".  Concerning various topics including Capitalism, the South, The Civil War, Darwin and Founding Fathers.  These books do not seem to all concern themselves with oppression, politeness or victimization.  Unless you use the terms very broadly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Raz is pretty Razztastic this early in the morning.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2013, 09:25:46 PM
For instance there is a whole set of books called "The politically Incorrect guide to _____".  Concerning various topics including Capitalism, the South, The Civil War, Darwin and Founding Fathers.  These books do not seem to all concern themselves with oppression, politeness or victimization.  Unless you use the terms very broadly.

Those cracked me up.  The points on the book covers were so non-sensical.  Things like 'the left-wing communist establishment has told you the Founding Fathers were liberals well we are going to explain to you they were CONSERVATIVES!!111'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2013, 12:34:35 AM
You've lost me Raz.

You are discussing PC. You offered up a reasonable definition of PC and its usage.

Raz contends the term is vague, fuzzy, and over used. Example evidence to back this up are the prevalence of books such as "the Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers" which appear to use a different definition of PC than the one you offered (one that's closer to "pejorative for American liberal"); hence vague, fuzzy, and over used.