News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Timeless Gamer

Started by Syt, August 07, 2013, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

As some of you know I have started my games blog recently: http://www.thetimelessgamer.com/

My latest article is now online:

A Little Time With: Occult Chronicles – Of Aliens, Elder Gods and Tarot Cards

Questions, comments and requests are welcome, of course. Complaints, too. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

some interesting reads in there. Well written too. might be good for the occassional read (as I'm not a blog-reader).
So a thumbs up from me

DontSayBanana

Cool.  Quick question: so basically, the game you reviewed is one-house Arkham Horror with an extra mechanic or two thrown into the mix?
Experience bij!

Syt

Thanks, guys.

Occult Chronicles shares obvious similarities with Arkham Horror. I would say, though, that AH is the better game. OC requires less strategy - basically its moving forward to find the next encounter, and strategy mostly revolves around whether you fight or flee and maybe whether or not you use a bonus card. And you'll be fighting those card duels. A lot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Bluebook

Syt

Thanks! :)

The latest Sunday Musings are online:

Press "X" to be Evil – The Illusion of Choice about player choices in games.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Good read, I imagine you'd get along with Warren Spector, who's blasted decision trees as a really poor way to handle player choice.

I'm more in favor of a "hidden slider" approach.  There's a tree, but instead of discrete switching points like "Press 'X' to be Evil," standard character actions have some affinity to a trait that gets tallied up as the game goes along.  I do disagree with Fable's method of saving it all til the very end- I think a better example is a slight modification to the bounty system from Skyrim.  The first time you pick a lock in front of a merchant, it causes you to lose any discounts with that particular merchant.  The second time, or the first time you steal from that merchant (provided it's something small and cheap), you no longer get vendor interactions from that merchant, more than that, they lose patience, the guards get called, and bounty gets added.  Different vendors should have a different tolerance, too- prissier ones go straight to the guards, Riften merchants might tag themselves as enemies instead of call the guards, etc.  The trick is, it's all based on the same stat that just has an arbitrary amount of bounty added right now, and NPCs are given maybe an extra line or two of code that manages how they react to that attribute in you.
Experience bij!

Syt

Thanks. :)  I'm not against choices per se, it depends on how it's handled and benefits the game and whether the writers use smoke and mirrors enough to make the choices seem natural.

The "hidden slider" approach feels more organic, but in the end comes down to similar mechanics, only that many small actions determine the outcome instead of one big one. Also, there's the risk that if you stick to a path too much, you block other routes for good, unless you also implement the opportunity for redress. And still, it only goes so far as the developers define it. If there's no programmed response for a certain slider setting, then that's that.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Just played Republia. I like that ending. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2013, 09:11:58 PM
Just played Republia. I like that ending. :D

It wasn't before I visited the dev's webpage that I realized that he's also behind that game. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould