News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Seriously, This Is As Bad As The Nazis.

Started by mongers, August 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 04:14:57 PM
You could go a bit simpler - no one should be persecuted for who they are and for expressing their identity, as long as such self-expression does not hurt others or abridge their rights.

This has proven to be problematic in practice.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2013, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 04:03:23 PM
I don't see an obvious way for us to determine a set of human rights that are universal. We have our own opinions about what these rights should be of course, but our opinions are essentially parochial.
I agree.

This is only get more controversial. Sochi, but then the World Cups in Russia and Qatar...

I shall be boycotting them............though this will cost me no pain at all of course  :P

Nor will it interfere with them, though these events are staged for prestige, so if enough people are grumpy about it I'm sure there will be some benefit.

My first political action was back in 1968, talking in a debate in class and supporting a boycott of South Africa by the England cricket team over the Basil D'Oliveira affair; I was just stunned by what I perceived as the total injustice of the whole business.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 04:39:02 PM
I don't see an obvious way for us to determine a set of human rights that are universal. We have our own opinions about what these rights should be of course, but our opinions are essentially parochial.
I agree.

This is only get more controversial. Sochi, but then the World Cups in Russia and Qatar...

I shall be boycotting them............though this will cost me no pain at all of course  :P

Nor will it interfere with them, though these events are staged for prestige, so if enough people are grumpy about it I'm sure there will be some benefit.

My first political action was back in 1968, talking in a debate in class and supporting a boycott of South Africa by the England cricket team over the Basil D'Oliveira affair; I was just stunned by what I perceived as the total injustice of the whole business.

You is old. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 04:33:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 04:14:57 PM
You could go a bit simpler - no one should be persecuted for who they are and for expressing their identity, as long as such self-expression does not hurt others or abridge their rights.

This has proven to be problematic in practice.

Yi, you should really not try living in Britain, where everyone now has the right to be offended by just about anything anyone else says.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 04:43:19 PM
Yi, you should really not try living in Britain, where everyone now has the right to be offended by just about anything anyone else says.   :bowler:

I've been railing about this central pillar of political correctness forever.

You can't offend people.  What's offensive?  Whatever the victim says is offensive. 

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 04:33:40 PMThis has proven to be problematic in practice.

Do you have anything particular in mind?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 04:47:02 PM

You can't offend people.  What's offensive?  Whatever the victim says is offensive.
As a politically correct human being, I find your characterization highly offensive.  Would you care to apologize or express regret?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 04:47:02 PMI've been railing about this central pillar of political correctness forever.

I"m sure you and mongers will find this an interesting discussion. For my part, I don't think "freedom from being offended" is considered a universal human right, and I certainly don't think it has any bearing on what's going on in Russia re: GLBTQ issues.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on August 07, 2013, 04:42:19 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 04:39:02 PM
I agree.

You is old. :o

I can remember acting the part of one of the prime ministerial candidate in a debate/lesson in junior school, I must have been ten; That also was some time ago.  :bowler:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 04:49:30 PM
I"m sure you and mongers will find this an interesting discussion. For my part, I don't think "freedom from being offended" is considered a universal human right, and I certainly don't think it has any bearing on what's going on in Russia re: GLBTQ issues.

Then why the fuck did you bring it up?  :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

Here's an entertaining case of political incorrectness here in the UK :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23608106

I think it's a shame that people get so uptight and take offence and demand apologies for this sort of thing. I find it convenient when people express their thoughts so clearly, as it helps to work out what they believe in. In this case I rather think that Godfrey Bloom is a racist knobhead  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 04:54:37 PM

I think it's a shame that people get so uptight and take offence and demand apologies for this sort of thing. I find it convenient when people express their thoughts so clearly, as it helps to work out what they believe in. In this case I rather think that Godfrey Bloom is a racist knobhead  :P
Luckily Godfrey Bloom is quite open:
http://www.channel4.com/news/video-ukips-bloom-i-dont-see-why-bongo-bongo-is-racist :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 04:47:02 PM

I don't think it's even what could be called PC, unfortunately it's a cultural shift. 

You could also say people are now afraid to speak their mind.

Very few people stand up to this lowest common denominator approach to public life/discourse. 

One notable exception is the gay right campaigner Peter Tatchell who support peoples 'rights to offend others'.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 04:47:02 PMI've been railing about this central pillar of political correctness forever.

Jacob, myself and Yi are talking about another issue, not related to Russia.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2013, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 04:54:37 PM

Luckily Godfrey Bloom is quite open:
http://www.channel4.com/news/video-ukips-bloom-i-dont-see-why-bongo-bongo-is-racist :lol:

I think he must have a time machine  :cool:

Certain types of old guy were like that 40 years ago but were considered reactionary even then. Think of the "Major" in Fawlty Towers, depicted as a completely irrelevant dinosaur.