The Fort Hood Shooter Will Be Able to Cross-Examine the Soldiers Whom He Shot

Started by jimmy olsen, August 05, 2013, 08:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Now that's some dramatic must watch court TV! :o

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/08/05/nidal_malik_hasan_fort_hood_trial_admitted_gunman_will_get_chance_to_cross.html

QuoteThe Fort Hood Shooter Will Be Able to Cross-Examine the Soldiers Whom He Shot

By Josh Voorhees
Posted Monday, Aug. 5, 2013, at 11:23 AM

Tuesday will mark the beginning of the military trial of Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army major who gunned down 13 people and injured several dozen more during his 2009 shooting spree at Fort Hood. Hasan, both in court and out of it, has already admitted to being the gunman—he claims to have been trying to protect Taliban leaders from U.S. soldiers deploying to Afghanistan—and has even offered to plead guilty to the charges. But that doesn't mean that the courtroom action will be without its fair share of drama, as the New York Times explains this morning in a great table-setter:

It is not unusual for victims to face their assailants in court, as [Staff Sgt. Alonzo M. Lunsford Jr.] will do on Tuesday, when he testifies on the first day of Major Hasan's military trial. What is extraordinary is that Major Hasan, seated behind the defense table in a Fort Hood courtroom, may be the one questioning Sergeant Lunsford during cross-examination.

Major Hasan is representing himself, one of many elements of his long-delayed court-martial that legal experts say will make it one of the most unpredictable and significant military trials in recent history. "I will be cross-examined by the man who shot me," said Sergeant Lunsford, 46, who retired from the Army and remains blind in his left eye. "You can imagine all the emotions that are going to be coming up."

Other than the scene of a shooter questioning someone who he shot, however, legal watchers and historians aren't exactly sure what to expect once the trial gets underway. For starters, there's the question of just how much the trial will explore Hasan's radical Islamic beliefs. And, while it likely won't prove too difficult a task for Army lawyers to convince the jury of 13 to find Hasan guilty, it's less clear if the government will be able to achieve its ultimate goal: the death penalty. (The reason the Army refused to accept Hasan's offer to plead guilty is because, by military law, that would have taken a death sentence off the table.) Even if they do, such an outcome is all but certain to be subject to a lengthy appeals process, one that history would suggest could last more than a decade. Head on over to the Times for more on what's likely to prove to be a historic trial regardless of the outcome.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

What a circus.  This fucker is a poster child for summary executions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

No shit.  They fucked up pretty bad by bringing this guy in alive.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Even in liberal paradise Canada we have a provisions for accused people to NOT cross-examine the people they victimized...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2013, 10:58:11 PM
Even in liberal paradise Canada we have a provisions for accused people to NOT cross-examine the people they victimized...

Why?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on August 05, 2013, 10:59:43 PM

Why?

Cuz there's no reason for an accused person to re-victimize their victim?

What we have is a provision for 'court appointed counsel for the purpose of cross-examination'.  The court hires a lawyer for you.  You tell that lawyer the questions you want to ask.  This comes up more than you'd think in terms of domestic abuse cases.

Neil

Yeah, but the US is a pretty harsh place.  Remember, the people who created the country and its laws were the people who loved the brutal violence of slavery.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 11:17:36 PM
Yeah, but the US is a pretty harsh place.  Remember, the people who created the country and its laws were the people who loved the brutal violence of slavery.

Trollish, but true. :hmm:

Ideologue

I agree.  America sucks.  I wish we'd never rebelled.  It was a mistake.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on August 05, 2013, 11:23:42 PM

Yeah we could have been as thrilling as Canada.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2013, 11:29:50 PM

Or Canada would have been as thrilling as the USA!  :cool:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2013, 11:29:50 PM

It would be all of the nuclear majesty of America with the benevolent statism of Canada.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
How so? We'd have been wimptastic state fawning over the queen.

America would likely be by the far the most important component of the Commonwealth.

I'm pretty sure we'd still have developed atomic weapons first as well.
Kinemalogue

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
How so? We'd have been wimptastic state fawning over the queen.

I don't recall a lot of fawning going on in my life... :hmm:

and alt-history where 1776 fails is interesting.  On one hand it begs the question to what extent the US rebellion spurred liberalism in the rest of the colonies (no question it did), but it also begs the question to what extent being a part of the empire would have ended slavery without a war...