Spain to UK, Gibraltar: "The party is over!"

Started by Syt, August 05, 2013, 12:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: Saw a Gibraltan journalist on TV who was sick of British weakness. He wanted the RN deployed with loose rules of engagement.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2013, 02:49:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2013, 10:37:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 06, 2013, 03:39:04 AM
Como se habla "Trident" en espanol?
It's a proper noun.  You don't translate it.
What about country names and firstnames for people in history?
If they're in English, they're not translated.  Otherwise, they are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on August 06, 2013, 06:37:56 PM
And to think Spain was once the most powerful country in the wold.

Alot can change in 365 years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Well, there wasn't a lot of competition for the title in the lands bounded by Fangorn to the west and the Anduin to the East.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

I don't think Spain was more powerful than China or the Ottoman Empire, even if they did claim vast quantities of nearly empty land.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

I suspect the Brits who go on holiday to Gibraltar are Daily Mail readers who want the sun without the foreigners.

I don have a friend who lives there, but she's from an Indian family.

Interesting fact, my great aunt helped plan and took part in the evacuation of Gibraltar during WWII.

KRonn

Quote from: Brazen on August 07, 2013, 06:51:50 AM
I suspect the Brits who go on holiday to Gibraltar are Daily Mail readers who want the sun without the foreigners.

I don have a friend who lives there, but she's from an Indian family.

Interesting fact, my great aunt helped plan and took part in the evacuation of Gibraltar during WWII.

Pretty cool bit of personal history.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2013, 06:22:44 AM
I don't think Spain was more powerful than China or the Ottoman Empire, even if they did claim vast quantities of nearly empty land.  :hmm:

Well they were powerful enough that their massive silver and gold discoveries destroyed both the Ottoman and Chinese economies.  That empty land was pretty impactful.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Doesn't Spain own some small territories near Morroco too?  Shouldn't they consider giving them back too, on the same principle as Gibraltar?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Agelastus on August 07, 2013, 05:49:25 AM

Well, there wasn't a lot of competition for the title in the lands bounded by Fangorn to the west and the Anduin to the East.

:lol:

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 03:07:57 PM
Doesn't Spain own some small territories near Morroco too?  Shouldn't they consider giving them back too, on the same principle as Gibraltar?

They were never part of Morocco, and probably pre-date Morocco.
I believe they are also integral parts of Spain, unlike Gibraltar which is an overseas territory.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on August 08, 2013, 03:14:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2013, 03:07:57 PM

I believe they are also integral parts of Spain, unlike Gibraltar which is an overseas territory.

Kind of like Alaska  :hmm:

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on August 08, 2013, 03:14:14 PM

It depends when you think Morocco started; both had belonged to the Kingdom of Fez. 

In any event it is crucial for Morocco to leave Ceuta and Melilla in the hands of Spain; they supply the country with it's much needed supply of ham.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.