Spain to UK, Gibraltar: "The party is over!"

Started by Syt, August 05, 2013, 12:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Iormlund on August 05, 2013, 07:37:41 AM
The sovereignty issue is irrelevant. Gibraltar is hardly the only pirate haven of Her Majesty. Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Jersey ...

Yes, but in or near the EU makes a difference.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

I assume one of the issues is that Gibraltar charges lower taxes on its residents than Spain does?

In the EU do you get taxed based on where you work or where you live?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2013, 04:29:17 PM
I assume one of the issues is that Gibraltar charges lower taxes on its residents than Spain does?

depends on treaties but iirc usually on where you live (as is proper)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Iormlund

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2013, 04:29:17 PM

It's not taxes on residents that are the problem. It goes further than that. Picture the Cayman Islands to get an idea.

An added problem is smuggling. One of the main sources of income (both sides of the border) is using fast boats or bikes based in Gibraltar to drop off at the beaches goods that are either taxed heavily in Spain (tobacco) or downright illegal (drugs).

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 06, 2013, 03:39:04 AM
Como se habla "Trident" en espanol?
It's a proper noun.  You don't translate it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2013, 10:37:54 AM
Como se habla "Trident" en espanol?
It's a proper noun.  You don't translate it.

What about country names and firstnames for people in history?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 06, 2013, 04:54:55 AM
¿Cómo se dice "Trident" en español?

Fixed it for you

Oops.

Though I left out the accent marks and extra punctuation on purpose because they're difficult to access on my keyboard and are unnecessary for conveying meaning. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

It looks like it's not just the UK government that is against border checks. A smuggler ran over Spanish cop at the border today.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on August 06, 2013, 04:18:13 PM
It looks like it's not just the UK government that is against border checks. A smuggler ran over Spanish cop at the border today.

That's weird.  When I was in Europe the UK was the only country that bothered with things like border checks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2013, 04:19:31 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 06, 2013, 04:18:13 PM

That's weird.  When I was in Europe the UK was the only country that bothered with things like border checks.

Yes, Europe is not in the Schengen but is in the EU. Norway, however, is in Schengen, but not the EU.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

And to think Spain was once the most powerful country in the wold.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"