News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Morality of 'Area Bombing'

Started by mongers, August 05, 2013, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Catching up with some podcasts I came across this interview with a British war veteran who experience the bombing of Dresden.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21440139

I at least found it interesting and thought it might be a good starting point for a debate about area bombing and especially his own view on the morality of it. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

I don't know, depends on the area I guess.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2013, 10:21:27 AM
I don't know, depends on the area I guess.

I think if you have a spare 8 minutes, this man's experience is worth listening to.

derspiess

How about the area of morality bombing? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on August 05, 2013, 11:15:16 AM
How about the area of morality bombing?

OK I'll get right onto it and start a few more threads.   :smarty:

Viking

I don't know about the morality of the bombing, but flattening dresden saved this guys life, literally.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

There's a debate about the morality of area bombing?  Since when? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on August 05, 2013, 01:53:23 PM
There's a debate about the morality of area bombing?  Since when? :unsure:

Well yes. The Oppenheimers, Harris' and even the LeMays of WW2 had some serious reflection about what they had done in WW2 and for the most part expressed the view that it had been better had the destruction of cities not been necessary. Then the america and west hating culture relativists of the 1960s decided that because the allies did this during ww2 the allies were just as evil as the nazis.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

They had serious reflection and reached the conclusion that WW2 was bad?

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2013, 02:17:10 PM

Did I say that?

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on August 05, 2013, 02:23:23 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2013, 02:17:10 PM

Did I say that?

Yes. Also, define oil company.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

OttoVonBismarck

WWII was not a prize fight, area bombing was basically not a moral issue. In a War of that nature you do whatever you need to do in order to win, it's not about morality. Now that being said, there has been substantial arguments by some corners over the years that our large scale strategic bombing, relative to the resources and personnel used, actually did not do enough damage to the enemy industry to justify its use. Now yes, having air superiority for basically the entirety of American involvement in Western Europe was very important, but I'm more receptive to the arguments that strategic bombing paid poor dividends strategically than I am concerned at all about its morality.

I'll also note that countries like Germany, which embraced and put Hitler into power, are (if there are moral concerns with area bombing in a conflict like WWII) "more appropriate" as targets because the people themselves are part of the problem. It isn't the same as if we were in a war with North Korea, Nazi Germany was a dictatorship swept into power by popular support and even many Germans moderately opposed to Nazism were willing collaborators. The North Koreans are born into their state, and have little knowledge or understanding of the outside world. I'd feel more qualms about leveling Pyongyang than I would nuking say, Berlin 1945.

Siege

I don't know.
North Koreans could rebel and bring down the dictatorship.

Everybody is responsible for their own freedom.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"