Italy court confirms jail term for Berlusconi

Started by Savonarola, August 01, 2013, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: fhdz on August 04, 2013, 09:20:18 PM
I love that a Berlusconi thread here on Languish turns into a naval discussion. :lol:

Had Languish existed during WWII, the thread on the Battle of Taranto would have turned into a discussion of some obscure topic from the Franco Prussian War.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on August 04, 2013, 08:41:42 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 04, 2013, 07:11:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 03, 2013, 05:50:58 PM
I don't think that range was a big concern for the Italians, given that they weren't really built with the idea of operating far from base.  They were more concerned with running down the French than reaching out into the Atlantic.  I don't really hold it against them.

They traded range and (to some extent) firepower for protection.  You are probably correct that that was the better choice, for them.
As opposed to the smaller Italian cruisers, which traded range, protection and seaworthiness for blazing speed.

Blazing speed "during trials when overloading the engines" you surely mean (as wartime experience showed) - except for the Capitani Romani class that sadly entered service too late to do much good.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

I'm not a big fan of this derailment.  Berlusconi is probably the greatest guy in history. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on August 05, 2013, 05:30:06 PM
I don't think that range was a big concern for the Italians, given that they weren't really built with the idea of operating far from base.  They were more concerned with running down the French than reaching out into the Atlantic.  I don't really hold it against them.

They traded range and (to some extent) firepower for protection.  You are probably correct that that was the better choice, for them.
As opposed to the smaller Italian cruisers, which traded range, protection and seaworthiness for blazing speed.
Blazing speed "during trials when overloading the engines" you surely mean (as wartime experience showed) - except for the Capitani Romani class that sadly entered service too late to do much good.
To be fair, it's not like it was common to make your trial speed in combat situations.  But they were fast enough to flee from the British at every turn.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2013, 06:55:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of this derailment.  Berlusconi is probably the greatest guy in history. :mad:

So you could say he is the modern politician equivalent of a Zara class cruiser prewar? :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 07:33:07 PM

To be fair, it's not like it was common to make your trial speed in combat situations.  But they were fast enough to flee from the British at every turn.

The first batch of the Condotierris, the ones with the fastest trial speeds, certainly weren't fast enough to "flee from the British at every turn."
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2013, 07:43:19 PM
He's more of an Admiral Scheer :wub:

I had a model of the Graf Spee. First model my Dad bought me.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on August 05, 2013, 07:48:30 PM

The first batch of the Condotierris, the ones with the fastest trial speeds, certainly weren't fast enough to "flee from the British at every turn."
Speed one way or the other doesn't make much of a difference in battles like Cape Bon.  For one thing, they were fighting destroyers, which should have a speed advantage against anything.  For another, it's difficult to control the engagement in a night action when your enemy has radar and you don't.  The Italians were good at running from British forces they knew about.  When a flotilla of destroyers snuck up behind them and torpedoed them from point blank range, before pouring gunfire into them, they had a harder time.  Actually, that's almost the exact situation that got the Zaras destroyed, except the 4th Cruiser Squadron had no reason to expect a sudden destroyer attack, whereas the Zaras knew the enemy was near and searching for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 05, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

My first was Hood, but shortly thereafter I got a 1/700 waterline Matchbox Graf Spee.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 11:13:16 PM

Speed one way or the other doesn't make much of a difference in battles like Cape Bon.  For one thing, they were fighting destroyers, which should have a speed advantage against anything.  For another, it's difficult to control the engagement in a night action when your enemy has radar and you don't.  The Italians were good at running from British forces they knew about.  When a flotilla of destroyers snuck up behind them and torpedoed them from point blank range, before pouring gunfire into them, they had a harder time.  Actually, that's almost the exact situation that got the Zaras destroyed, except the 4th Cruiser Squadron had no reason to expect a sudden destroyer attack, whereas the Zaras knew the enemy was near and searching for them.

I was actually thinking of Spada, not Bon. And even at Bon the "official" speeds of the cruisers in question were supposedly faster than those of the Destroyers that snuck up on them.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 11:14:27 PM

My first was Hood, but shortly thereafter I got a 1/700 waterline Matchbox Graf Spee.

I graduated to the South Dakota. Never could get those mast things right on the superstructure.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 06, 2013, 06:52:17 AM
I graduated to the South Dakota. Never could get those mast things right on the superstructure.

That's why I stuck with aircraft carriers.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 06, 2013, 06:52:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 11:14:27 PM

I followed up Graf Spee with Iowa, and then Gneisenau.

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on August 06, 2013, 06:45:48 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 11:13:16 PM

I was actually thinking of Spada, not Bon. And even at Bon the "official" speeds of the cruisers in question were supposedly faster than those of the Destroyers that snuck up on them.
I had a lengthier post that seems to have been eaten in the forum switchover.

At any rate, there was no reason to expect the cruisers at Cape Bon to be steaming at anything more than cruising speed.  And as for Spada, that's a good example of how the Italians couldn't make ultra-high speeds, even if the ships were mishandled in their maneuvering to avoid Crete.