1967 killing of W. Berlin protestor was done by Stasi spy

Started by Weatherman, May 28, 2009, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteIt was called "the shot that changed the republic." The killing in 1967 of an unarmed demonstrator by a police officer in West Berlin set off a left-wing protest movement and put conservative West Germany on course to evolve into the progressive country it has become today.
Now a discovery in the archives of the East German secret police, known as the Stasi, has upended Germany's perception of its postwar history. The killer, Karl-Heinz Kurras, though working for the West Berlin police, was at the time also acting as a Stasi spy for East Germany.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/world/europe/27germany.html?_r=1

Wow.

Siege

I would have suspected that right from the begining.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

We always knew that the social democratic states were designed as an attack on the West by communists.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 07:34:40 PM
We always knew that the social democratic states were designed as an attack on the West by communists.

Indeed, the communists thought liberal democracies would be too morally weak to resist.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  It is good, though, to see the Krauts killing each other for a change, and not liquidating Maritnus.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 28, 2009, 08:25:35 PM
Yes.  It is good, though, to see the Krauts killing each other for a change, and not liquidating Maritnus.

Wait why is that good?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2009, 08:33:28 PM

Wait why is that good?
Because then they'd go goose stepping all over the place and causing the price of bad beer and good sausages to go through the roof.
PDH!

Razgovory

Really it goes to show that conservatives are really leftists in disguise with the intent to destroy our country.  Thus right wingers must be purged to prevent leftist infiltration.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 28, 2009, 08:36:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2009, 08:33:28 PM

Wait why is that good?
Because then they'd go goose stepping all over the place and causing the price of bad beer and good sausages to go through the roof.

So long as they just kill Marty... Or maybe just beat him up regularly.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Siege on May 28, 2009, 07:39:19 PM
Indeed, the communists thought liberal democracies would be too morally weak to resist.
So did fascists across Europe.  We outlasted both.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Siege on May 28, 2009, 07:28:55 PM
Kurras was in the anti-espionage department of the Berlin police later.  :P

Alatriste

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 29, 2009, 12:40:53 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 28, 2009, 07:28:55 PM
Kurras was in the anti-espionage department of the Berlin police later.  :P

It takes one to know one?  :P

CountDeMoney

I read a fantastic book recently on the Stasi;  if there's one thing you can walk away with, it's knowing that the Germans are sick sadistic fucks regardless of the flag they were flying.  Nazis, DDR, doesn't matter.

In a sense, we should all be glad they're reduced to neutered Euroweenie carebears restricting their penchant for control to the accounting and automotive sciences.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2009, 05:25:05 AM
I read a fantastic book recently on the Stasi;  if there's one thing you can walk away with, it's knowing that the Germans are sick sadistic fucks regardless of the flag they were flying.  Nazis, DDR, doesn't matter.

Was it this one?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stasi-Untold-German-Secret-Police/dp/0813337445

Excellent book, in any case.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall