News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cyberpunk Future: HUD Contact Lenses

Started by Jacob, July 30, 2013, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Kinda cool.

QuoteUniversity of Washington researchers have figured out how to implant semitransparent red and blue LED lights in contact lenses, for the purpose of receiving and displaying data in sharp visual images and video. This means wearers will literally be able to watch TV or view photos that are projected directly onto their eyeballs.

Once miniature green LEDs are developed (and they're in the works, as of now), full color displays will be possible. Once that happens, the possibilities are endless. Think about everything your smart phone can do right now, and imagine the same being possible for your eyeball.

http://www.elementalled.com/academy/blog/innovative-technology/led-lights-make-augmented-vision-a-reality/

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2013, 01:24:57 PM
I'd need to get used to contacts first.

I'd be willing to give contacts a shot for an HUD.

sbr

I could never use contacts for anything; I can't even watch people put them in or take then out, I have ot leave the room.  I can't even use eye drops.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2013, 12:59:08 PM
How does data feed into those thingies?

Bluetoof!

I'm curious as to how the hell they're powered, and whether people really want electrical current running over their corneas.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on July 30, 2013, 03:14:20 PM

Bluetoof!

I'm curious as to how the hell they're powered, and whether people really want electrical current running over their corneas.

:D Yeah, I might wait a few iterations before ordering :D
and the horse you rode in on

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on July 30, 2013, 03:14:20 PM

Bluetoof!

I am guessing we already do at the level that would be required. Those currents may be what powers it. Another way could be the temperature differential between the two sides of the lens.

frunk

When something is miniaturized to this level the amount of energy required to power it goes down as well.  The difficulty is getting all the required systems in a flexible and durable frame while still being transparent over most of its surface.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on July 30, 2013, 02:23:24 PM
I could never use contacts for anything; I can't even watch people put them in or take then out, I have ot leave the room.  I can't even use eye drops.

Yeah I never wanted contacts either.  Besides, I look better with something covering part of my face.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I assumed I'd get contacts when my vision was bad enough to require glasses. Out of my immediate family though, I'm the only one who doesn't require vision correction in order to drive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.