News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eat a McDouble, you liberal pussies

Started by Ed Anger, July 29, 2013, 06:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Yeah, it's an excuse people that just want to eat unhealthy stuff frequently give.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2013, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 10:52:41 AM
Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2013, 10:29:30 AM
Feeding a family costs a small fortune but I'd think it doesn't have to be uber expensive for a poorer family to still get decent food.

The other element is time. Not everyone can afford to just sit around cooking meals.
It doesn't take that long, unless preparing a more elaborate meal. It's fast and easy to bake fish, pork or chicken. Grill up a couple of burgers. Steam some veggies or heat them in microwave or on the stove. Or use a crock pot to slow cook, which is also easy to do.

Disagree. I think it would take long for a single parent working two jobs to go to the store, scout out all of these healthy, cheap options.  Then go home prepare said meal and get one's kids to eat it.

Sure it isn't that hard in a vacuum but many of the individuals we're talking about are double pressed on time and money.

edit: Actually even, though she did it, my mother was often hard pressed to want to get off a long day at work (when she made it home on time) to then kick something nutritious for us all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2013, 12:45:15 PM
Yeah, it's an excuse people that just want to eat unhealthy stuff frequently give.

True but that's also related to laziness. I'm not talking about lazy individuals though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Aren't Reese's cups really a better deal, at $3.50/~2000 calories and ~50g of protein?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 01:36:08 PM
Aren't Reese's cups really a better deal, at $3.50/~2000 calories and ~50g of protein?

Or maybe just go straight for the peanuts, which are also very cheap.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2013, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 10:52:41 AM
Feeding a family costs a small fortune but I'd think it doesn't have to be uber expensive for a poorer family to still get decent food.

The other element is time. Not everyone can afford to just sit around cooking meals.
It doesn't take that long, unless preparing a more elaborate meal. It's fast and easy to bake fish, pork or chicken. Grill up a couple of burgers. Steam some veggies or heat them in microwave or on the stove. Or use a crock pot to slow cook, which is also easy to do.

Disagree. I think it would take long for a single parent working two jobs to go to the store, scout out all of these healthy, cheap options.  Then go home prepare said meal and get one's kids to eat it.

Sure it isn't that hard in a vacuum but many of the individuals we're talking about are double pressed on time and money.

edit: Actually even, though she did it, my mother was often hard pressed to want to get off a long day at work (when she made it home on time) to then kick something nutritious for us all.

My mother also was in the same position, three kids, worked a job, but she always had something cooked or ready to be put in the oven by us kids if she was working the afternoon shift.  Yeah, it's tough and if I had to feed a family I'd be looking for the easiest/fastest and I think the way I cook is pretty easy and fast. I save the more lengthy cooking for the weekend since I also don't like to spend a lot of time cooking after work, thought it's not hard to bake something for 45 mins, microwave frozen/canned veggies, things like that after work, which I also do sometimes. When I cook on a weekend I have enough for most of the week. Parents could do the same which I assume many do, then get some take out during the week too, but you have a good point about time and convenience and that's why many restaurants specialize in take out food to attract working parents. Must get expensive though which goes back to expense again.   

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2013, 02:03:53 PM

What the hell's a "peanut"?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2013, 02:04:57 PMParents could do the same which I assume many do, then get some take out during the week too, but you have a good point about time and convenience and that's why many restaurants specialize in take out food to attract working parents. Must get expensive though which goes back to expense again.   

Sure they can but clearly many are opting for the convenient options or the let kids have junk and they won't whine / can feed themselves option. :P

Besides, I'm not sure if eating out ventures down to McD's if that's going to add up to a lot of expense. -_-

Ideologue

I remember the cheapest thing I was eating other than PB+Js when I was unemployed was Taco Bell.
Kinemalogue

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 02:09:18 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2013, 02:04:57 PMParents could do the same which I assume many do, then get some take out during the week too, but you have a good point about time and convenience and that's why many restaurants specialize in take out food to attract working parents. Must get expensive though which goes back to expense again.   

Sure they can but clearly many are opting for the convenient options or the let kids have junk and they won't whine / can feed themselves option. :P

Besides, I'm not sure if eating out ventures down to McD's if that's going to add up to a lot of expense. -_-
Well then, now we're getting back to the food that's not so good for you, going full circle. I was giving alternatives that are reasonably priced and easy to cook in comparison to preparing lengthy meals or eating less healthy and somewhat cheaper priced food.   

Sheilbh

The single most expensive part of my food shopping is fruit and veg <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on July 29, 2013, 02:27:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 02:09:18 PM

Well then, now we're getting back to the food that's not so good for you, going full circle. I was giving alternatives that are reasonably priced and easy to cook in comparison to preparing lengthy meals or eating less healthy and somewhat cheaper priced food.   

Which are great alternatives for the likes of you and I. I'm not convinced though that it's just a lack of education that is at fault here - though certainly it can play a role.

mongers

I eat mostly healthy and it doesn't seem to cost a lot. Just for instance, a bag of frozen or canned veggies, pound of fish, rice/couscous or what ever feeds me most of a week for a decent price. Not as cheap as a $1 burger at Mickey D's, but add the fries, drink and maybe something else to it and I probably spend less on a meal. And my meal is healthier.

Also can buy bags of lentils, dried peas/beans, cracked wheat plus the above mentioned frozen/canned veggies and look to buy fish/chicken/pork/cube steaks on sale, sometimes family packs on sale, and you can do ok for a cheap price. That's for one person. Feeding a family costs a small fortune but I'd think it doesn't have to be uber expensive for a poorer family to still get decent food.

For me now during summer, I'm starting to get my veggies from my backyard garden. Beans of several kinds, corn, potatoes, tomatoes. Though that garden costs me more for the stuff I buy to support it, like fencing, soil, fertilizers, various odds and ends.

:cool:

And some good advice there.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 29, 2013, 02:06:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2013, 02:03:53 PM

What the hell's a "peanut"?

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 02:53:06 PM
Which are great alternatives for the likes of you and I. I'm not convinced though that it's just a lack of education that is at fault here - though certainly it can play a role.

Location, location, location.