San Diego Mayor Plans to Enter Therapy for Sexual Harassment

Started by Phillip V, July 26, 2013, 07:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you need therapy for sexually harassing women?

Yes.
No.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on July 27, 2013, 02:55:20 AM
Unlike sexting and cheating on your wife sexual harassment is illegal. The correct response is not treatment, it is a trial. Based on the content of the accusation (that he grabbed, fondled and forced his toung into a womans mouth) that is not sexual harassment that is sexual assault.

Not necessarily.  Sexual harassment can cover a wide variety of activity, some of which might constitute sexual assault, some of which may not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2013, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 27, 2013, 02:55:20 AM
Unlike sexting and cheating on your wife sexual harassment is illegal. The correct response is not treatment, it is a trial. Based on the content of the accusation (that he grabbed, fondled and forced his toung into a womans mouth) that is not sexual harassment that is sexual assault.

Not necessarily.  Sexual harassment can cover a wide variety of activity, some of which might constitute sexual assault, some of which may not.

He's a thief, he's guilty of stealing 100 dollars, he's also guilty of stealing 99 dollars, he's also guilty of stealing 98 dollars 57 cents!!!!1111oneoneoneoen

Not all lawyers are smart or well informed. However, less scrupulous lawyers might refer to a trivial less relevant issue as a red herring, smart less scrupulous lawyers might actually might actually respond using the red herring as a reference rather than the issue raised.

Can/may/some. Yes the set of Sexual Harassment and the set of Sexual Assault do overlap at some point. The act of grabbing a woman fondling her breasts and sticking his toung down her throught was sexual assualt. I'll concede that it might have been sexual harassment as well if you concede that you were trying to obfuscate by bringing up this irrelevant technicality.

... this is why people hate lawyers...

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Phillip V

San Diego Mayor Under Siege While City Problems Loom

'SAN DIEGO—The eighth-largest city in the country is bracing for federal defense cuts and grappling with an estimated $1 billion in backlogged infrastructure projects. But the city's attention is focused on the escalating furor around its mayor, Bob Filner, who is ignoring calls for his resignation after eight women accused him publicly of sexual harassment.

Mr. Filner, a 70-year-old Democrat, has admitted to "inexcusable" behavior, but he has said that it didn't amount to sexual harassment.
Most of the nine-member City Council wants Mr. Filner out, and this week voted against his request that the city pay to defend him in a sexual-harassment suit. Mr. Filner argues the city should pay because he never received sexual-harassment training. The City Council also voted to sue the mayor to recover any money the city may be forced to pay if it is held liable in a sex-harassment suit.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323997004578640554151386948.html

Caliga

He completed his 'intensive therapy' a week early.  Yay!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

...and he's about to resign, apparently.  Guess the therapy didn't take. :(

KRonn

Therapy for sexual harassment. Yeah, but I'd think for him, given his many infractions and women he's harassed, that his therapy would be some time in jail.   :hmm:

Darth Wagtaros

I like him demanding the city pay his legal problems.  "Nobody told me not to grope staffers, so it's not really my fault."
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 22, 2013, 01:06:05 PM
I like him demanding the city pay his legal problems.  "Nobody told me not to grope staffers, so it's not really my fault."

That is pretty ballsy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Have you guys seen pics of some of the women accusing him of harassment? :hmm:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2013, 12:08:52 PM
In Weiner's case I get it, because the guy is not qualified to do anything else.  Filner was a college professor before he got into politics IIRC, which probably puts him in just as bad a position since a college won't hire a known sexual harasser.
The good news is they won't fire one, either.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 22, 2013, 01:07:43 PM

That is pretty ballsy.

Not really.  He was a city employee, alleged to have done misdeeds while doing city business.  It's pretty standard to cover their legal fees in those kinds of situations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2013, 02:11:30 PM
Not really.  He was a city employee, alleged to have done misdeeds while doing city business.  It's pretty standard to cover their legal fees in those kinds of situations.

I'm not sure sexual harassment qualifies, however. I mean, if he was accused of shaking down some business owners or altering bids, that'd be one thing. That's doing city business. Sexual harassment? Yeah, not so much.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

That is pretty ballsy.

Not that.  I meant the fact that he's essentially claiming that he sexually harassed because he hadn't been given training on avoiding sexual harassment.

Scipio

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2013, 11:53:52 AM

That is pretty ballsy.

Not that.  I meant the fact that he's essentially claiming that he sexually harassed because he hadn't been given training on avoiding sexual harassment.
I believe him, just like I believe all my little 74 Hoover Crips when they tell the judge they didn't know how to not shoot at people who disagreed with them.  However, since they're such fucking horrible shots, I don't think the argument carries a lot of water.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt