Being a Tech is Incredibly Boring

Started by DontSayBanana, July 24, 2013, 11:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Didn't want to go totally off the rails in the certs thread, so I thought I'd share some rationale on why I don't have them, and that actually edged me out against the competition in getting my job.

Long story short, being a for-hire service technician sucks.  There's virtually no volume, and the cases you get mostly involve shot hard drives.  Given our testing process and past experience, if I even have to break out the DFT disk (drive fitness test for anybody that doesn't speak IT ABC soup), I'm already pretty sure it's going to fail.

Occasionally, though, I do get some stuff that's funny in a cosmic sort of way.  Such as a motherboard with a bad SATA controller that I RMA'd, only to get a replacement that doesn't even POST. (Protip: stay away from ECS Elitegroup.  Far, far away- I've finally found a motherboard manufacturer that's worse than Biostar, and their support sucks donkey balls)
Experience bij!

Phillip V

Don't be a tech.

Become an "analyst" or "consultant".

Darth Wagtaros

Go into networking. There is money there, and security.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 28, 2013, 11:03:24 AM
Go into networking. There is money there, and security.

That's one thing I'm cross-training in, for that reason.  Of course, it was hilarious the first time I had to run cable for the warehouse.  Severe acrophobic + 28-foot extension ladder = hilarity.

We're actually trying to position ourselves for more networking and surveillance service calls, but the few Languishites who've been to Cumberland County can tell you, marketing any of that newfangled "telephone" stuff here is a chore.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

SearchProtect, PC Fix Speed, and Comcast's lovely ConstantGuard (have they stopped using that system-wrecking piece of crap yet?), all on one machine.  And of course, my boss is only just now starting to realize that I'm actually stronger on manual infection removal than he is.  Today's GEM quote: "I don't use msconfig- nothing shows up there." :wacko:
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Another installment from Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 24, 2013, 11:13:56 PM
Didn't want to go totally off the rails in the certs thread, so I thought I'd share some rationale on why I don't have them, and that actually edged me out against the competition in getting my job.

How so?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2013, 01:30:59 AM
How so?

I personally wouldn't mind carrying a couple of certs, but the boss feels they're a racket and tend towards too narrow a curriculum for the kind of stuff we run into.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 15, 2013, 08:03:16 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2013, 01:30:59 AM
How so?

I personally wouldn't mind carrying a couple of certs, but the boss feels they're a racket and tend towards too narrow a curriculum for the kind of stuff we run into.
They are a racket as has been stated. But the Caligas and Eds of the world enforce the racket, so you may as well start spending your money on them.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 30, 2013, 07:25:45 PM

Never pass a physical.  My shooting hand's fucked up.

Doesn't matter.  Being a Navy IT looked like it was just as boring as being a civilian tech/IT guy anyway.  Only real difference is their clothes were all the same and their office moved (assuming they were even on a boat instead of just on a base somewhere).  They also probably get paid less than you.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on August 15, 2013, 09:12:05 AM
:frusty:
Your BBQ sauce is made from teh tears of children who went without Christmas because their parents needed an A+ cert.
PDH!