Shakespeare in the Original pronunciation

Started by jimmy olsen, July 24, 2013, 09:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

A fascinating little video on how the dialect that Shakespeare wrote in sounded, it sounds Irish to my ears  :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2013, 09:30:43 PM
A fascinating little video on how the dialect that Shakespeare wrote in sounded, it sounds Irish to my ears  :hmm:

Thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my life, you Nard.  :P

How do they know? They got a recording?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on July 25, 2013, 02:43:44 AM

There's usually some sort of forensic extrapolation you can use, e.g. what rhythm and rhymes they use in poems. Also, changes in spelling can provide a hint.

And I hope you're not one of the people who think "Ye Olde" is pronounced "Yee Olday"!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

the "y" of Ye Olde is actually an "olde" english variant of "þ" which has a hard "th" sound like "think" or "bath" but not the soft "th" of "this" or "that".

So "ye olde" is actually pronounced "the old" with the e silent.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Correct. When printing presses came around, it was just easier to use "y" instead of the special letter because they were so close.

I've managed to impress an Icelandic colleague, because I pronounced her name properly with þ at the beginning instead of T like most Germans would. :smarty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Old dude explained it in detail. Pay attention!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

It's "original pronunciation" to an extent, but which regional accent of the time do they pick?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on July 25, 2013, 03:01:36 AM
the "y" of Ye Olde is actually an "olde" english variant of "þ" which has a hard "th" sound like "think" or "bath" but not the soft "th" of "this" or "that".

So "ye olde" is actually pronounced "the old" with the e silent.

Not quite. The e isn't silent. It's a very soft lilt at the end of old. Kind of an OLD-eh, though you barely hear the "eh" at the end.

I've a friend who has her Masters' Degree in English Literature, with a concentration in Middle English poetry. She spent a good portion of her studies working on how Middle English was pronounced and how it affected the way poetry was written. I love listening to her recite Gawain and the Green Knight in the original Middle English. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

The scene in PCU with the Sanskrit major just flashed in my mind.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 25, 2013, 07:52:02 AM
The scene in PCU with the Sanskrit major just flashed in my mind.

Chick I went to high school learned Sanskrit.  In addition to Latin and Greek and some other languages.  She later found out that the Nepal is inhabited with assholes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Why couldn't he just write normally, like we do today?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2013, 08:44:46 AM
Why couldn't he just write normally, like we do today?

He must have been deaf and dumb like Hellen Keller. It really makes his achievements all the more impressive.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Shakespeare is over-rated.  His stuff is just a mass of cliches.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 25, 2013, 04:17:28 AM

Old dude explained it in detail. Pay attention!

kind of tuned him out after 30 secs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".