Roughing it in Australia- travel log from the shitty city of sydney

Started by Lettow77, July 02, 2013, 11:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 21, 2013, 12:05:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 21, 2013, 12:01:24 PM
If the pain doesn't go away soon you should really have someone look at it. Easier said than done, I know.

I should, I know. In a few hours I'll have access to an orange and some water, which is hoped will alleviate the situation a bit. The traditional family curative is cranberry juice, but I don't have much in the way of time to get any. Actual medical examination would be odiously expensive, I don't know where to go, and of course taking time off from the course is out of the question.

One of the perks of living in Japan I am looking forward to is going to a doctor and a dentist to get an appraisal and needed treatment for long-neglected ailments. I intend to look after my health once I am there.
Doctors in Japan are expensive.
And their English sucks and medical Japanese isn't something people normally learn.
Go to a proper English speaking Australian doctor.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 21, 2013, 05:30:19 PM
Severe abdominal pain can be the sign of something serious that you can't wait 3 days to get treated. Go to the hospital, don't worry about the cost--I'm not sure how they can collect from you anyway.

Indeed, appendicitis is the first thing that came to mind.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 21, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
Indeed, appendicitis is the first thing that came to mind.

After eating like a homeless sewer rat, that is.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

You don't need to make a damn doctor's appointment.  Just go to the hospital... look for the sign that "EMERGENCY" or whatever the Brits call it... "CASUALTY"?  In the meantime, or preferably while you're on the way, go to a damn drugstore and get some laxatives.

Trust, you won't be the first college-aged American admitted to a Sydney ER.  They'll just be surprised it's not alcohol poisoning.  You'll get ultrasounded or MRIed or whatever and the problem may be solved.  And like you said, you're leaving that ghastly hellish place permanently in 100 hours: like AR said, even if they charge you boo-coo, how they gonna collect anyways?

Appendicitis can actually kill you if you don't get treatment within a short period of time.  Acute pancreatitis takes young lives too.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Lettow77

Not paying one's bills is immoral, especially if it is for life-saving services. Ducking out to dodge lawful payments is for browns. In the end, I sought no treatment- as I have never really sought treatment for anything. If the pain had persisted further (as it was, it was around six hours), I might have, but I take a fairly fatalistic view of things. Life is transient, I have enjoyed most of the pleasures I aspire to, and I have nobody I support or who supports me by which I might be chained to pursuing self-preservation through social obligation. I am happily expendable, and this affords me the great comfort that is carelessness.

But! I have alleviated my problems with a storied and successful bowel movement (which spawned a successor), and no less importantly, passed the CELTA course. I fly out of this unhappy country in less than eight hours. I anticipate warm and pleasant times in Fukuoka; one of my first actions will be to poke my head into the belgian beer festival that will be taking place there.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'