News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stupid biology question/medical question

Started by Razgovory, July 21, 2013, 02:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Spores from fungus and plants are around us all the time, especially fungus.  We breath this stuff in all the time, so how come our lungs aren't lined with mold?  I'm guessing there is some sort of mechanism in the body that destroys them, but I don't know what.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

How do you know our lungs aren't lined with mold? Have you been slicing people open to check? :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2013, 02:21:08 AM
Spores from fungus and plants are around us all the time, especially fungus.  We breath this stuff in all the time, so how come our lungs aren't lined with mold?  I'm guessing there is some sort of mechanism in the body that destroys them, but I don't know what.

Does it hurt when you pee? If so, you have a fungus.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2013, 02:27:49 AM
How do you know our lungs aren't lined with mold? Have you been slicing people open to check? :o

:lol:

Fate

Cilia (little arms on your cells, acts like a conveyor belt) in your lungs transport grime retrograde up your airway 24/7. There are also cells called macrophages and eosinophils that line the interstitium of your airways. They can kill fungi by phagocytosis and secreting cytotoxic molecules. You're colonized by many different fungi right now. Your immune system is just able to keep it in check. When you become immunocompromised fungal infections go wild. People with AIDS get all sorts of weird shit that doesn't exist in normal hosts.

There are some fungi that can make normal people sick. Where you live histoplasmosis and blastomycosis cause a good number of pneumonia cases. However you're very unlikely to get the disseminated form that goes beyond the lungs.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Fate on July 21, 2013, 08:13:43 AM
People with AIDS get all sorts of weird shit that doesn't exist in normal hosts.

They turn into big loaves of sourdough.

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on July 21, 2013, 08:13:43 AM

Cilia (little arms on your cells, acts like a conveyor belt) in your lungs transport grime retrograde up your airway 24/7. There are also cells called macrophages and eosinophils that line the interstitium of your airways. They can kill fungi by phagocytosis and secreting cytotoxic molecules. You're colonized by many different fungi right now. Your immune system is just able to keep it in check. When you become immunocompromised fungal infections go wild. People with AIDS get all sorts of weird shit that doesn't exist in normal hosts.

There are some fungi that can make normal people sick. Where you live histoplasmosis and blastomycosis cause a good number of pneumonia cases. However you're very unlikely to get the disseminated form that goes beyond the lungs.

Thank you Fate.  It was just something I was wondering about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lucidor

Fate, all that science takes the fun out of fungus! ;)

Viking

https://www.google.com/search?q=lungs+bacteria&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&q=lungs+bacteria&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=fflb&q=lungs+bacteria&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=rcs#safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=fungal+lung+infection+wiki&oq=wiki+fungal+lun&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i8i13i30.22598.24832.1.27256.17.15.1.1.1.1.268.2020.7j5j3.15.0....0.0..1c.1.20.psy-ab.fbWBIJ_u47c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099%2Cd.ZWU%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.c75bKy5EQ0A.O&fp=915928d32c2bfcfd&biw=1161&bih=1048

clicking on the link will link you to a whole bunch of fungal lung infections.

and...

the reason we don't have constant lung infections from fungus is our immune system, which doesn't just stop bacteria but it also stops viruses and fungii

I'm tempted to call you stupid, but not in this case, in this case you were being smart. Asking about stuff you don't  know is never stupid.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.