How much money is in your 401 (k) or similar DC plan?

Started by Savonarola, July 19, 2013, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much money is in your 401 (k) or similar DC plan?

$ 0
10 (22.7%)
Between $0 and $50,000
16 (36.4%)
Between $50,000 and $100,000
2 (4.5%)
Between $100,000 and $200,000
2 (4.5%)
Between $200,000 and $500,000
7 (15.9%)
Between $500,000 and $1,000,000
5 (11.4%)
Greater than $1,000,000
1 (2.3%)
I have a DB plan
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 19, 2013, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2013, 03:48:46 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 19, 2013, 03:38:06 PM
I'm 41 and have $600,000 in my 401 (k).

Woah. You must have been lucky with your investments. Isn't there like a $15K per year contribution limit in the US?

I've been employed as an engineer since I was 22 and always contributed a fairly high percentage, plus I've always had employers who matched a percentage of my investment.

It didn't occur to me that was unusual or even a large amount until today.

It's unusual in one sense, that is, many with that kind of cash to save tend to sink a large fraction of it in real estate equity rather than saving it all in a retirement vehicle.

Here in Canada, lacking matching employer contributions, it wouldn't be possible to put that much into an RRSP so young - you'd have to grow it within the fund through lucky investments. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

When I get old I plan to be a dashing masked highwayman.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

I'm going with the "suicide after I can no longer work" plan.  It's simplified things tremendously.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2013, 04:10:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2013, 04:04:26 PM
RRSPs that are kinda-sorta like 401 (k)s except no employer contributions

So do Canadian employers typically make no contribution to employee retirement?  Jacob in another thread said defined benefit plans were atypical, like the US.

My understanding is that the Canadian retirement system is seriously disfunctional. The idea was to use voluntary savings through RRSPs to fuel it, but participation and savings rates are abysmal, meaning that elderly Canadians had better enjoy the taste of dog food, because that's what they are going to be able to afford ...

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/02/20/business-leaders-offer-solutions-to-chronic-pension-shortfalls/

Only a third of Candian workers have some sort of workplace-assisted pension scheme:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/11/16/no-saving-grace-are-our-best-savings-intentions-hitting-the-wall/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

So do Canadian employers typically make no contribution to employee retirement?  Jacob in another thread said defined benefit plans were atypical, like the US.

No.  Plenty of employers will make contributions to your RRSP.  Not sure how they get taxed.

I have a very negligible amount in my RRSP.  The assessed value of my pensionable time is $200k or so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2013, 04:22:44 PM

No.  Plenty of employers will make contributions to your RRSP.  Not sure how they get taxed.

I have a very negligible amount in my RRSP.  The assessed value of my pensionable time is $200k or so.

Certainly there can be a plan where employers put the money into your RRSP by way of payroll dedictions, but this doesn't increase your personal contribution limit, or so I understand.

http://www.ancasterfinancial.ca/link.php?link=investments:group-RRSPs

Admiral Yi

Canuckleheadim: I assume y'all have a Social Security equivalent?  How much does that typically pay out a month?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2013, 04:28:48 PM
Canuckleheadim: I assume y'all have a Social Security equivalent?  How much does that typically pay out a month?

We do. It's the CPP. It pays enough to keep you ... if you don't mind the aforementioned taste of dog food.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/pub/factsheets/rates.shtml

Average monthly retirement payment: a princely $596.66. The high life awaits!  :lol:

Edit: that's the mandatory scheme you have to pay into (paymend deducted every paycheque). There is also an amount you get regardless, called the Old Age Security.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/oas/oasrates.shtml

It pays an average of $515.97.

So a working person gets on average $1,112 or so.

Admiral Yi

:huh:  My goodness.  The Baldwins are totally fucked.

Darth Wagtaros

In a state pension system. SHould be around 40k-50k in it right now.
PDH!

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

We do. It's the CPP. It pays enough to keep you ... if you don't mind the aforementioned taste of dog food.

Average monthly retirement payment: a princely $596.66. The high life awaits!  :lol:
There is also Old Age Pension which pays to everyone independently of contributions, is there not ?

When my Dad retired, he was getting about $600 in CPP benefits, my Mom, who had only worked a couple of years for pay, got about $1. Howver both got OAP which iirc was about $500-$600 each. Together this allowed them to live comfortably and even travel a bit given that their home was paid for.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on July 19, 2013, 04:42:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

There is also Old Age Pension which pays to everyone independently of contributions, is there not ?

When my Dad retired, he was getting about $600 in CPP benefits, my Mom, who had only worked a couple of years for pay, got about $1. Howver both got OAP which iirc was about $500-$600 each. Together this allowed them to live comfortably and even travel a bit given that their home was paid for.

You are correct - I added that to my post, but you must have missed my edit.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: ulmont on July 19, 2013, 04:18:14 PM
I'm going with the "suicide after I can no longer work" plan.  It's simplified things tremendously.

That's the spirit.  Don't feed the machine.  Control your own destiny.