News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grade Obama

Started by Kleves, July 19, 2013, 07:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What grade would you give Obama's presidency so far?

A
3 (5.5%)
B
10 (18.2%)
C
29 (52.7%)
D
10 (18.2%)
F
3 (5.5%)
J(aron)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2013, 11:00:21 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2013, 10:59:17 AM
Shame his own party doesn't agree.

How's that?

Too much isolationist silliness from the GOP these days.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2013, 11:10:10 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2013, 11:00:21 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2013, 10:59:17 AM
Shame his own party doesn't agree.

How's that?

Too much isolationist silliness from the GOP these days.

It's a natural correction after the neocon era (which may actually still be going on).  A little isolation wouldn't hurt, but I fully support engaging India in whatever way serves our national interest. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

F for Fantastic! Dude won the Nobel Prize. :cheers:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Yeah, I agree that Obama deserves some credit for trying to encircle China with US allies.  I think that East Asia has been a success for his administration.

Militarily, he gets an F, as in Failing to disband the Fucking Air Force.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

OttoVonBismarck

"Russia is Russia" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard Sheilbh say. I can't remember the last time an American President had such a prolonged period of complete inaction in regard to Russian intransigence. The examples abound, but the most recent was them giving Assad high tech anti-aircraft missile systems. Bush at least made some level of noise about the South Ossetia War, Obama has basically let Russia curb stomp us every time we turn around. I'm amazed that no one on the forums sees that Putin has seen that he has no real hope to rebuild the USSR like it was, but it's obvious he dreams of creating a second "pole" in the current system. It will span through a range of countries ruled by petty autocrats in the Putin mold and will be headed by Russia, its most powerful member.

The idea that Iran is weaker is highly questionable, their economy is worse off due to more effective sanctions but I'd argue we've just confirmed even the worst of our sanctions cannot stop them from doing something we do not want them to do. Also, as long as Russia and to an extent China (whose motives are purely economic vis-a-vis Iran) continue their business in Iran all the sanctions do is actually push Iran closer into the bosom of guys like Putin.

About the only thing I agree with Sheilbh on is Bush also lacked a Latin American policy, but the President is the guy behind the desk. Bush's inaction isn't a reason for Obama to get a pass on his continued inaction.

On the Pacific, I can talk more about it later but suffice to say I think you guys are giving a lot of emphasis to stuff that hasn't materially helped our geopolitical position and minimizing serious losses and erosions in American power (especially in regard to our no longer being viewed as true protectors of Japan and Taiwan.)

OttoVonBismarck

And to some degree there is no denying that we're moving back to a multipolar world regardless of anything any American President does. Our place as lone hegemon was basically a historical quirk. But I don't really think a backwards ass "great power" made up of a combination of economically weak autocracies like Russia, Iran, Cuba, Venezuela etc is an inevitability.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 19, 2013, 11:59:31 AM
(especially in regard to our no longer being viewed as true protectors of Japan and Taiwan.)

How so?  How have we abrogated or reduced our treaty responsibilities with Japan in any way, or made our arrangement with Taiwan any less ambiguous than we have purposefully kept it of 30 years?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 19, 2013, 11:59:31 AM
"Russia is Russia" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard Sheilbh say. I can't remember the last time an American President had such a prolonged period of complete inaction in regard to Russian intransigence. The examples abound, but the most recent was them giving Assad high tech anti-aircraft missile systems. Bush at least made some level of noise about the South Ossetia War, Obama has basically let Russia curb stomp us every time we turn around. I'm amazed that no one on the forums sees that Putin has seen that he has no real hope to rebuild the USSR like it was, but it's obvious he dreams of creating a second "pole" in the current system. It will span through a range of countries ruled by petty autocrats in the Putin mold and will be headed by Russia, its most powerful member.

And how, exactly, do you expect the US to prevent the sale of weaponry to Syria, who's not exactly a fresh customer?  They're an historical Soviet/Russian client state, and we are not even militarily engaged in Syria.

And Putin's interests in reestablishing Russia's sphere of influence over the former Soviet republics and Warsaw Pact countries, and hedging against NATO expansionism, isn't some sort of new revelation that's appeared in the Obama Administration.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2013, 08:33:44 AM
In Obamacare a more substantial domestic achievement than any President since LBJ.

I'm actually sort of sure the mandate to get health insurance is gonna ruin me.  Buy a new car?  Why would I want to do that, when I can have garbage medical care I don't need instead?  Wanna change my vote to an F.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2013, 02:44:28 PM
I'm actually sort of sure the mandate to get health insurance is gonna ruin me.  Buy a new car?  Why would I want to do that, when I can have garbage medical care I don't need instead?  Wanna change my vote to an F.

Dude, the fine is like 300 clams.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2013, 02:47:19 PM

You don't pay, they'll just take it out of your tax refund.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2013, 02:47:19 PM

Well, I hyperbolize.  I would like health insurance if affordable (i.e., less than about $1000-2000/yr) and would very much like dental insurance.  It's really difficult to figure out what I can get thru my employer, because all their online information is about BCBS in MA.  Don't think that applies to me.  Need to call them, which is a pain in the ass.

I do wonder how student loan burdens are affecting young people's decision or ability to purchase health insurance. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

I'm sure Ide will be a good citizen and shoulder the burden by overpaying for his healthcare.  The success of Obamacare depends on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

I'd be really happy to if my obligations to the state weren't already so damned high.  I pay like 10% extra "tax" on top of the 15-20% I already pay, and the 10% I loan them interest free.

I'd be lot more loyal to them if they'd do the right thing and trigger a little hyperinflation for me.
Kinemalogue

merithyn

You realize that you can get insurance for about $100/month, right? Just get a high-deductible plan, if you don't think you need it.

Of course, you'll be charged extra for smoking. :whistle:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...