And we're back!

Main Menu

A reader writes

Started by Brazen, July 19, 2013, 04:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

This better not be from any of you lot  :glare:

----

Hello I love your sites and have a weird question...

I am reading this book about a guy who dies 3 times and has these out of body experiences and then is shown the end of the world that starts with huge earthquakes in america,  I know its probably fake and stuff but he sees this big army truck and it does all these amazing things.  Could you tell me if their is actually army trucks that could do all of these things in the description below?  And if not do you think that their someday could be in the next say 10-25 years?

"Our Big Truck:

Two of our brethren showed up with a huge military vehicle and many drums of fuel on the back. It was one of the large vehicles the foreign troops had brought with them. It had a cab large enough to carry four soldiers in full gear, or six people in ragged clothing. It had a large flat bed, about twenty-five feet long, with a fabric cover that could be set up on steel hoops, which made it look like a mammoth covered wagon. It had four driven axles and large, high flotation tires. The front two axles steered, and the back two were fixed. The steering wheel was on the right side of the cab. I think it had been made in Asia, but I don't remember any insignias on the truck itself. One interesting feature of the truck was that it had a large solar panel on the roof of the cab. The solar panel could recharge the battery, or another vehicle's battery. It also had an inverter which produced normal voltage, which we used to cook, make lights for the camp, or any other electrical device. When the truck was running , it had a large generator to make electricity at night, but we chose not to use it much to conserve fuel. By the time we reached the end of our journey in Zion, this truck had served us profoundly and had saved many lives. It truly was a survival vehicle. It was built to handle anything. The truck itself was made of some kind of carbon fiber, which made it light and stronger than normal steel. The wheels were designed so that they always remained on the ground, even when crossing a tall obstacle, rock, or fallen tree. The truck was flexible and seemed to twist as it crossed obstacles , but the bed always remained flat and level. Our leaders decided to take it largely because it came with its own fuel, and it had the capacity to carry almost all of our supplies. We didn't even ask how they had acquired this big truck but just accepted it as a gift from God. As our journey progressed, it figured prominently in our journey and in our success. Looking back at all that happened on our journey, it was the only vehicle that we did not get hopelessly stuck at least once, and the only one that did not break down. We found that it would run on anything from crude oil, spent vegetable oils, and cooking grease, to vodka, though we didn't find much of the latter fuel. We made full use of that ability. It was one of the few vehicles that left Salt Lake City, and actually arrived in Canada and most of the way to Missouri. All of the others either broke down or were discarded to save fuel along the way. We also discovered that there was a water purification plant built into the truck. We could pour dirty water from a puddle , or even antifreeze from a car radiator, into it, and it would make fresh water for us to drink . This was a great blessing to our journey. I remember when we discovered this feature. The system was near the engine and was not readily apparent. Because the writing was not in English, we weren't sure what it was or what it did. I watched one of the brethren pour dirty water into the square funnel. I stood there doubting that this was what it was for, or that clean water would be the result. About twenty minutes later, the most pure and refreshing water began running into a heavy plastic container at the bottom of the truck. Filthy water was draining onto the ground. I remember tasting it and marveling . I have never been good at mechanical things , and this seemed like a miracle to me. It wasn't until I was working on this book that I learned that filters with this ability actually exist. I was like a child watching something that seemed miraculous, but which others of our company understood."

Pontius, John (2012-11-13). Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days (p. 154). Cedar Fort, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Ideologue

Not from me.  My description of a truck would be longer, have more parenthetical asides, a reference to either Optimus Prime or Duel, and at least one picture with a funny caption.

Edit: oh, nor would I write in asking about a vehicle from some dumb story that spends 400 words describing the FUTURE TRUCK.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Nah, I prefer to maintain a third person present narrative in my bullshit.

lustindarkness

I want that truck, but left had driver please, thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

sbr

To Missouri from Salt Lake via Canada?  Must be fake.