Once again, Russia proves that old school is, how you say, the best school

Started by CountDeMoney, July 16, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteKremlin security agency to buy typewriters 'to avoid leaks'

Russia's agency responsible for the Kremlin security is buying typewriters - a move reportedly prompted by recent leaks by WikiLeaks and Edward Snowden.

A 486,540-rouble (£9,860) order for electric typewriters has been placed by the FSO agency on the state procurement website.

The FSO has not commented on why it needs the old-fashioned devices.

But an agency source told Russia's Izvestiya newspaper the aim was to prevent leaks from computer hardware.

"After scandals with the distribution of secret documents by WikiLeaks, the exposes by Edward Snowden, reports about Dmitry Medvedev being bugged during his visit to the G20 London summit (in 2009), it has been decided to expand the practice of creating paper documents," the source said.

The source added that typewriters were already being used at Russia's defence and emergencies ministries for drafts and secret notes, and some reports had been prepared for President Vladimir Putin by typewriter.

Unlike printers, every typewriter had its own individual typing pattern which made it possible to link every document to a particular machine, Izvestiya said.

Mr Snowden, a former CIA contractor, has recently leaked thousands of classified US intelligence documents.

He is currently on the run from the US authorities, and is believed to be at Moscow's airport.

WikiLeaks grabbed world headlines in 2010 by releasing hundreds of thousands of US state department diplomatic cables, including secret files relating to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

11B4V

In the US that would be a "Change in working conditions". Fucking unions. :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

That doesn't make any sense.  Wouldn't it be easier and more worker-friendly to just pre-emptively execute every journalist in the country?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 16, 2013, 07:20:23 PM
The chair force would wonder how to send email through them.

"That's one heavy interdepartmental mail envelope, Airman."

mongers

I was always impressed by their reaction to the hostage crises in the Lebanon. Kidnap close family members of those who took the Soviet diplomats, cut off one pair of testicles, 'mail' it to the kidnappers representatives, cue quick release of surviving hostages. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2013, 07:20:10 PM
That doesn't make any sense.  Wouldn't it be easier and more worker-friendly to just pre-emptively execute every journalist in the country?

I think Putin's mates are already working on that 5 year plan.

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2013, 07:25:01 PM
I was always impressed by their reaction to the hostage crises in the Lebanon. Kidnap close family members of those who took the Soviet diplomats, cut off one pair of testicles, 'mail' it to the kidnappers representatives, cue quick release of surviving hostages.

I want to know more. Got a link or something I can google?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2013, 07:35:57 PM

Google "KGB Alpha Group".

mongers

It's pre-internet, so I'd guess there won't be too much out there.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2013, 07:46:23 PM

Google "KGB Alpha Group".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2013, 07:48:10 PM
It's pre-internet, so I'd guess there won't be too much out there.

The history of the KGB, Sword And The Shield, is an excellent comprehensive work in one volume.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sword-Shield-Mitrokhin-Archive/dp/0465003125

MadImmortalMan

Uh paper is an unsafe medium too. Anybody who gets in physical contact with it can read it. Or stick it in a scanner and email it somewhere.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2013, 08:07:00 PM
Uh paper is an unsafe medium too. Anybody who gets in physical contact with it can read it. Or stick it in a scanner and email it somewhere.

Yes, but incorporating and maintaining physical security integrity controls is substantially more effective than floating shit out on teh intrawebs.  And scanners and emails can be easily avoided as well. 

The threat to the paper trail is reduced primarily to the human element, which can be dealt with in a more narrow scope than the myriad--NAH, PLETHORA--of IT system and architecture weaknesses.