McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I don't see why a McDonalds employee can't employ a pool cleaner, if they work five full time jobs.

Berkut

Populism: It always works because people like guller and Seedy are dumb enough to actually fall for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2013, 11:08:57 AM
Populism: It always works because people like guller and Seedy are dumb enough to actually fall for it.
:huh: Are you saying that the tipping guide was a hoax?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2013, 11:12:30 AM

No, I am saying you are a moron for swallowing the idea that the story means anything, and you actually fall for shit like "McDonalds business model is identified by low wages".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Unfortunately, Emily Post is an etiquette guru and therefore an instrument of the elite.

CountDeMoney

Berkut still operates under the belief that McDonald's employees are primarily kids making a little extra cash as they work their way through school.  Because that's the way it was in 1985.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2013, 11:16:58 AM

No, I am saying you are a moron for swallowing the idea that the story means anything, and you actually fall for shit like "McDonalds business model is identified by low wages".
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?  You aren't usually deranged to such a degree.

Admiral Yi

Throbby's got a bit of a point.  Is providing a tipping guide a nice thing?  Yes.  If they republish Emily Post's entire guide, does that mean they think their employees have pool cleaners and lawn care guys?  No, it means they published the whole thing.

It's part and parcel of the recent trend for the American left to demonize in order to achieve desired policies: bankers and financial reform, the wealthy and tax increases, the NRA and gun control, fast food and the minimum wage.

fhdz

Is it demonizing or is it root cause analysis?

Non-leading question, btw. I'm curious about your thoughts.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fhdz on December 08, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Root cause analysis of the tax increase is that we need revenue to fund government, and possibly to reduce income inequality.  Demonization is to say they are fat cats.  Root cause analysis of the minimum wage is that we want workers to have more income.  Demonization is to say that anyone who pays the current minimum wage is a selfish dickhead.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 04:11:37 PM
It's part and parcel of the recent trend for the American left to demonize in order to achieve desired policies: bankers and financial reform, the wealthy and tax increases, the NRA and gun control, fast food and the minimum wage.

I presume that the fact that you are pointing out the left in this example is because you recognize that the right has been doing this for years, not because you think that the right doesn't do it.

I agree that the demonization has become so commonplace as to obscure the truth, but, in fairness, have to note that the right's demonization seems to me to be more extreme and more widespread.  And I'm basically a right-center guy (as is Berkut).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I would hate if I had to work a job that didn't pay me enough to live.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

The mob's braying has become tiresome. Release the hounds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on December 08, 2013, 05:38:39 PM
I agree that the demonization has become so commonplace as to obscure the truth, but, in fairness, have to note that the right's demonization seems to me to be more extreme and more widespread.  And I'm basically a right-center guy (as is Berkut).

I disagree.  Wubya's major domestic policy initiatives were tax reduction, Medicare drugs, and No Child Left Behind.  None of those were involved demonization.  Who could they possibly have demonized? 

Under Obama the opposition's principle fights have been reducing the deficit, holding tax rates down, rolling back Obamacare, holding off gun control, and holding off illegal immigrant amnesty.  If the first four involved demonization, it didn't register on my radar (don't watch Fox and don't listen to RW shock jocks), and I'm hard pressed to see how you create a villain for those four.

Amnesty does lend itself to demonization, but again demonization that is both widespread and extreme has not shown up on my radar.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 04:20:40 PM
Quote from: fhdz on December 08, 2013, 04:16:37 PM

Root cause analysis of the tax increase is that we need revenue to fund government, and possibly to reduce income inequality.  Demonization is to say they are fat cats.  Root cause analysis of the minimum wage is that we want workers to have more income.  Demonization is to say that anyone who pays the current minimum wage is a selfish dickhead.

Those aren't the end products of root cause analysis. The optimal word there is "cause". If there is income inequality, a root cause analysis of that problem would seek to determine the cause(s) of the income inequality (which might or might not be that the system is gamed in favor of the haves and insufficient protections exist for the have-nots to slip further down). A root cause analysis of the problem of minimum wage not equaling a living wage would be to determine why the minimum wage has been insufficiently increased.
and the horse you rode in on